• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unrevoked3: complete Evo/Windows instructions

Well, depends on what you install really. I have fresh installed, and it deleted all the bloatware off my phone..like nascar, nfl, shit like that. Dont really know other than that.
That's cool. So it's an app that helps delete the unused programs? Where do I get it. Sorry for all the questions. It's my first time. LOL they all say that.

Upvote 0
I tried this and it seems to work. But I have a few questions.

1) Why remove the HTC Sync? Can the Android USB Driver co-exist with htc sync? I notice the device is "Android Phone" and there's a "Android ADB Interface" under that? How does this relate to using the adb shell from the google android SDK?

2) If I go to Menu and do a Privacy->Factory Data Reset, will that get me back to "unrooted" vanilla HTC Evo, (no matter what else I do to the phone)?

3) Now what? I have ClockworkMod Recovery 2.5.0.1. So I'm rooted now? How to tell? How to unlock? Any suggestions what to do next? Thanks

THANKS!! This was relatively painless compared to all the other scattered stuff out there.

Upvote 0
I'm rooted because I can now see the Super user applications in my apps list. But how do I do something similar to an iphone "unlock"? Can I upgrade my wifi? My HTC Evo has a weird bug where I can connect (but Internet,Market, etc doesnt work) via HOME WIFI, even though WIFI works other places like starbucks, etc. My laptop and iphone also work on my home WIFI. Maybe upgrading the wifi or radio will help this? BTW I dont have Sprint service, my 30-day free ran out.

Upvote 0
OK this is not happening for me...

I did the 10min root vid that has been floating around but I want to be on unrevoked....I have SU in my apps and the wi-fi tethering...

My device has the correct Hboot drivers and begins the process and boots to the white screen for hboot and if I do nothing it starts automatically by rebooting my device...

here is where is goes south stating on the PC waiting for reboot...and then the unexecpected communcition failed error appears...

I never get a DONE! This is a simple process but something is knocking me out...any advice?

Upvote 0
finally got it to go a little further....

unrevoked saying now flashing recovery do not touch the phone but the phone itself is booting to the Verizon slash screen and to the unlock screen and then I am stuck with ...waiting 3 more seconds because windows sucks...

what is causing the phone to not stay to get the recovery since it continues to boot on the normal mode...??

Upvote 0
Go to the link listed in the first thread, and you have the option to download for mac.

Once download, run the .dmg file and install it into your applications.

Afterwards, connect your phone via usb into your mac, place it in debug mode (instructions above also) then click on the application to run it, and it will walk you through...easy as pie, and a lot easier than windows...

So glad I am on a mac :D

When I open the reflash.dmg, I see EVO2 reflash.app. Is this correct? I was expecting to see something like EVO3 reflash.app..

Edit: Never mind. I ran the reflash.app and it said unrEVOked3.

Upvote 0
finally got it to go a little further....

unrevoked saying now flashing recovery do not touch the phone but the phone itself is booting to the Verizon slash screen and to the unlock screen and then I am stuck with ...waiting 3 more seconds because windows sucks...

what is causing the phone to not stay to get the recovery since it continues to boot on the normal mode...??

Gave up on the Win7 machine...worked like a champ as poster #1 stated on a WinXP PC...glad i had one in the house...it was just one...

Upvote 0
Okie, I am attempting to do the Unrevoked install.

Attempt #1: Got all the way to the point where the reflash has the message "Waiting for Reboot". This is after "pushing recovery image" and a boot in to the hboot menu. Once the EVO fully boots up, it hangs.

Attempt #2: uninstall your damn HTC Sync application (idiot me)

Attempt #3: COMPLETE! Works great and wifi tethering is running!

Thank you

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones