• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unrevoked3: complete Evo/Windows instructions

You can do it. There is a simple method for those that did OTA.

Man I want to do this so bad, but Im such a n00b and pretty intimidated by all of it. I did the original unrevoked, but I lost my wifi and all when they sent out that OTA update.

I really want my wifi tether back.... but I am also afraid of bricking my phone when Froyo is released...should I even be worried ? Thanks all

Upvote 0
:D
You can get Froyo now. I have it runing CM6. But you need to be fully rooted to Download that one. :) Thats why you need to do simple root.

I do appreciate all your help, so thanks BTW.

So if I do simple root (from the link you sent me)... will I still have full functionality on the phone ? Is anything glitched or not working ?

Thanks again !

Upvote 0
Ok so I'm new to the whole root thing, and i've been reading on here the past few days to figure it out. My friend told me he used unrevoked, and is now running froyo. All I want to do is to get wifi tether, use setcpu, and maybe get froyo running. I have a few questions though:

1. Is this a "full root"? I've been reading, and some people say this isnt a full root, meaning there's no way to get froyo running on it.

2. I would like to get rid of the stock crap apps. From what I gather, the only way to do that is to completely wipe all apps, and start over one by one?

3. I understand you can get a ROM manager, does this allow you to switch between roms or what?

4. This can be completely undone right? I've had problems with 2 evo's, i just now got a working new evo. But if i have a problem, i can take this off correct?

5. If I don't install froyo with the root, and want to wait til its officially released from sprint, will I have any problems installing it then?

Upvote 0
Big fat thanks to the OP for the instructions. I just want to add a Step 8.1 to clarify a piece where some people posted they are having the same issues I did.

8.1 If you open Unrevoked and it does NOT recognize your device (still says "waiting for device" even though you think you're all set) go to Control Panel > Add Hardware and find your android device. Remember those drivers you installed in the "Prep" section of the tutorial? When the computer asks you what drivers to install for the device, go right back to those and install them again. It's different this time because you're in regular mode, NOT boot mode like before.

Once the drivers are installed in regular mode, Unrevoked3 should recognize the device and kick off the root process. Worked for me anyway.

Upvote 0
well, i'm having a hell of a time getting this to work on my XP machine...

all seems to be good until step 8... i open reflash, it says waiting for device, plug phone in and enable USB debugging... so i plug the phone in (debugging is on and phone set to charge only)... and absolutely nothing happens...

edit: double checking the 8.1 suggestion i find my device not in device manager while it was previously...

advice?

update: i reinstalled HTSync software for the drivers as the comp still wasn't recognizing... then uninstalled just sync software leaving the drivers...

reflash finally recognized the phone and went through...

Upvote 0

I did the SimpleRoot Method 1.47.651 the other day and it worked great for now. So now im rooted and my software version down to 1.17.651.1. I tried the wireless tether app that i saw from htcevohacks.com and it kept giving me the same message ("unable to tether at this time") so i deleted the wireless tether app and now im basically rooted for nothing. Also i notice that some simple apps that i load up keep crashing. Keeps asking for me to force close or wait. Today the same crash method came up when i went to my applications menu!

So my question is
1. should i unroot it and try this unrevoked3 method instead of simple root?

2. How do i unroot?. Would i just simple try to update the software and it will auto unroot? Newbie here.

Thank you

Upvote 0
I don't recommend using Unrevoked. I use Unrevoked3 and had a hell of a time. The Simpleroot method seems to be the best. I did exactly what you did and ended up with 1.17.651.1 and thought I did something wrong. You might need to do the second part of Simpleroot here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=715915

After I did the second part my version number was correct at 1.47.651.1 and everything worked perfect. I assumed the first part of Simpleroot would have me at 1.47.651.1 but I was wrong in my case.

Reactions: HTC EVO
Upvote 0
I don't recommend using Unrevoked. I use Unrevoked3 and had a hell of a time. The Simpleroot method seems to be the best. I did exactly what you did and ended up with 1.17.651.1 and thought I did something wrong. You might need to do the second part of Simpleroot here How to start over: Fully rooted stock 1.47.651.1 in one shot (no adb!) - xda-developers

After I did the second part my version number was correct at 1.47.651.1 and everything worked perfect. I assumed the first part of Simpleroot would have me at 1.47.651.1 but I was wrong in my case.

Yes. i just saw the second part. Will get on it tonight!!

Upvote 0
I'm new to Android. Have 2.1. HTC Android.

Rooted the phone with with unrevoked 3 on my macbook pro yesterday so I could use wifi tethering. The rooting seemed to work out fine (how do I know really?), but the tethering didn't work. I tried different apps. The Wireless Tether app seemed to work fine. My wireless device found the network, and connected to it - but it didn't work when I was to surf the web. No data downloaded or uploaded either.

So now I heard that 2.2 will fill my needs.

Is the best way for me to reflash the phone through UnREvoked?

How do I do that? Is there a idiot proven guide somewhere?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I used Unrevoked3 and rooted my Evo 4G. Now I cannot connect via USB to my PC. It doesn't recognize my EVO when I plug it in via USB. It makes a sound when i connect it like it is going to recognize it but it doesn't appear in my list of Disk Drives. I am using Windows 7, 64bit.

If I go to "Computer" I can see it but if I double click it says "Please insert disk into removable disk F:". If I go to Disk Management I can see it there, but it is blank, it says no media.

I am lost now, I have tried reinstalling drivers, etc. Nothing is working.

Please help!

Thank you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones