Unroot and reroot?

Last Updated:

1. UnexplainedBacon

UnexplainedBacon Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I admit it... I got caught up in the Easy Root hype. I've been wanting to root anyway and this pushed me over the edge. I am now running rooted with CyanogenMod RC6 and their Nextheme. Right now, I'm lovin it.

However... I keep reading horror stories of people who rooted with Easy Root and it makes me wonder if tomorrow I will go to turn on my phone and it will be... not a brick, but close to it.

Question is... at this point, would it be better to un-root my phone and then re-root it, doing it the conventional way? Is there any way to test that my root with Easy Root was completely successful and stable, making this unnecessary? I just cant live with the anxiety!! ;)

Advertisement
  2. IxI Dan IxI

IxI Dan IxI Well-Known Member

A sticky would be nice on this issue, see my post. lol.

3. patch

patch Well-Known Member

If you got Cyanogen running you have nothing to worry about this point :)

I think most of the "horror stories" were related to getting a custom firmware installed -- probably based on some people not taking flashing a firmware/recovery seriously and doing the research before they started. Not necessary an issue with the method of rooting but I know some will disagree with me.

In anycase, it's not going to hurt if you start from scratch and root the conventional way by flashing a rooted firmware,

I also wanted to point out the unroot button in EasyRoot, Androot or any "1-click" tools will not return your phone to the "factory" setup -- since you most likley also installed other software (like busybox) that goes into your /system -- The only way to get a true "factory reset" is using the method described in the sticky thread!

4. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

The issue that people have had with easy root is flashing a custom recovery, because it only seems to last for one reboot and it then goes back to stock. It seems that the best way to fix this issue is to flash a custom rom. Since you have already done this and are running Cyanogenmod you are fine.

5. UnexplainedBacon

UnexplainedBacon Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Sweet diggity, thanks for the replies people! I will stick with my root the way it is.