• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root UNroot, back to bone-stock. One step!

I rooted my phone following the directions on the sholes.info website. I got the sholes-updater 6 installed, but when I run it all I get a "uid not allowed to su" error. Do I need to re-root my phone, or is there another way to get around that?

EDIT: well it looks like the update.zip linked on the sholes site doesnt work correctly. I went ahead and grabbed the one from this tutorial and re-rooted. now the smupdater is working fine.

Upvote 0
there are no options in the updater, just has lots of info in the screen about my phone. I saw this and thought that i would try and root it, but now i'm stuck in some void and cannot unroot it. It might be since Sholes website has lost all their server space. I tried to reflash with the 2.0.1 and i still have root.

Upvote 0
Ok so I have just unrooted back to 2.0.1 using Sholes. I have tried running an old root app like setcpu to see if im unroot. it worked, so now my only question is: now that I am back to being nonroot will I be able to get the new 2.1.0 OTA update that is supposed to be pushed through here this week. I have heard that it may start in some places as soon as midnight feb. 10.

as you all can see I am new to these forums, so I may as well say hello.

I'll be checking back in to see the results.

Upvote 0
I originally rooted my phone using SM Updater, which worked flawlessly. However, when I try to unroot the phone using SM Updater, a warning box pops up:
"Your recovery image needs to be updated. Continuing will void your warranty!"
it then gives me two options.
1. I understand the risk
2. Quit (recommended)

should I update the recovery image?

Upvote 0
Didn't mean to post twice. Thanks so much for the quick response. I'm going to wait for the 2.1 update to see if I want to stick with that update, or reroot and go with a custom ROM.

user_online.gif
progress.gif

Upvote 0
have you been able to update your google maps to 4.0 after un-rooting? I wasnt able to make that work for me.

Does sholes overwrite the maps to the older version when unrooting?

it didnt rewrite maps after root or after unroot. is there some way i can see what processor speed im running without using an apl that requires root? just one to see the speed, not change it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones