1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Unroot for upgrades and updates

1. whs37

whs37 Well-Known Member

Someone was trying to tell me that you have to unroot the device for major updates. He was citing going from 2.x to 4.x. Does anybody know whether that is true or false. Thanks.

Advertisement
    :
  2. valorian

valorian Well-Known Member

Are you referring to OTA update from your carrier? If you are then you don't need OTA updates. If you are rooted you can install any OS version you want that is made for your phone.
  3. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

The best advice would be to ask in the device forum.

In my experience it's generally not a good idea to accept over the air updates on a rooted device full stop - on some devices it just doesn't work, on others it causes problems. But I don't presume to give universal advice ;)

But conversely, if you use custom ROMs you would probably never care about official updates - if the device has a decent development community any major update will be incorporated into the ROMs fairly quickly, in which case you'd just flash a new ROM.
  4. whs37

whs37 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the answers. It was really a generic question without any particular device in mind. From your inputs I gather that the answer is: "It depends".