unroot?

1. kbeefy

kbeefy Member

I cant get TiB to restore anything, Im thinking about exhanging this phone for an unmolested one @ verizon. How do I unroot it?

Advertisement
    :
  2. zeroibis

zeroibis Active Member

I would recommend sending an e-mail to dan about it as he is the one that developed the root method for this phone. ;)
  3. kbeefy

kbeefy Member

Emailed Dan, he responded in about 3 seconds. Waiting on a response from TiBackup, failing that heres the unroot instructions if anyones interested...

4. RideZeLitenin

RideZeLitenin Well-Known Member

So basically those of us who have held off on rooting yet should still wait for a more "compatible/working" root? Seeing as wifi tethering and titanium root refuse to cooperate.

Curious, has anyone gotten around to overclocking the Droid 4 yet? Or does OC'ing not work yet either?
  5. myfishbear

myfishbear Well-Known Member

no some people dont reailse you also have to install busybox after you root to use ti backup... mine works fine .... got it running like cyanogen... just used some older gb apps and its great! i got setcpu limiting it to 1 ghz anf min 600 mhz
  6. kbeefy

kbeefy Member

Will yours restore?

I realize now I should have frozen instead of uninstalled... I have installed busybox 1.19.3 as well as Titanium Backup PRO, tried with app processing mode in direct, indirect, classic, as well as 'forcing Busybox'. I still can't restore.
  7. zombie673

zombie673 Member

Root works fine. Wifi Tether is now working...

http://androidforums.com/droid-4-all-things-root/498603-wifi-tethering-barnacle.html

Haven't looked into overclocking because the things is REALLY fast to begin with. I wouldn't see any reason to decrease battery life to improve something that is already impressive.
  8. kbeefy

kbeefy Member

So, I tried unrooting and it keeps saying 'rm failed for /system/app/superuser.apk, read only file system'

Any suggestions?
  9. myfishbear

delete it with root explorer
  10. kbeefy

kbeefy Member

emailed Dan again...

11. gremor

gremor Member

So (for a nooB) what would the entire input string be?

Thx.
  12. myfishbear

$ su
    # mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/system /system
    # rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
    # rm /system/xbin/su
    # rm /system/bin/su
    gremor likes this.
  13. kbeefy

kbeefy Member

^^ yeah, that.

Which worked for me except rm superuser.... it then said 'file doesn't exist', but I still had superuser on my phone. I wound up downloading and running the Droid 4 Utility, rooting and unrooting through it, then Superuser was gone.