Unrootable versions of NC?

1. Dane27

Dane27 New Member

Let me preface this question by saying that I HAVE read the stickies, and apologizing if it's already been answered, but honestly, it should be a pretty question that allows for a quick and dirty answer.

I've had a rooted Nook Color for about a year and a half now, and love it...so, now my mother-in-law, who originally gave me the Nook in hopes that I'd be able to get my textbooks on it (unimportant side-note, my in-laws gave me the 3G, which I exchanged and paid the difference for the Color...without which, I WOULDN'T be able to get my school textbooks, because I'm using an Android app for them...)

Anyway, my in-laws are going on vacation, and the MiL would like a rooted Nook like mine to occupy the downtime. I told her I'd be happy to root it for her, but to hold off on buying one, because I wanted to make sure she got the right one...since I knew different versions of the firmware required different versions of AutoNooter.

My question is...IS there a version of the NC that no longer allows for rooting? With the release of the Nook Tablet, has B&N attempted to quash this process?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

If you read the stickies, then you probably saw this: How I rooted B&N 1.4.1 and got the Android Market to work

Last I checked, 1.4.1 was the latest version. It's also a piece of cake to flash back to an older version and root that (1.3.0), if it wasn't rootable. Future updates could be disabled by modding a file on it. Make sure she activates it before you mess with it.

Maybe you should give her yours and get the tablet? :D
  3. Dane27

Dane27 New Member

I DID see that, but honestly, I wasn't sure if that was the latest iteration, or just one that caused people problems.

As for giving her mine...not a chance. I like my un-filtered access to the Android Market.
  4. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

5. bobstro

bobstro Well-Known Member

The NOOKcolor is a dream to root and hack. The NOOKtablet is really locked down. You can root it, but can't yet load custom firmware like CyanogenMod. The NT is faster and smoother, and does support HuluPlus, but otherwise isn't near as much fun as the NC.