Unrooted and back to Cupcake - how long til Donut?

Last Updated:

1. Phateless

Phateless Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When I go to settings --> system update it says my system is up to date, but I know it's not. How long til I get the OTA update? I want my Navi back! :D

Advertisement
  2. jasnmb

jasnmb Well-Known Member

When I first got my phone with 1.5, it took overnight before the Donut update was pushed to me.

In any case, why did you do that? If you wanted to go back to 1.6, the Super D or CM4 ROMs are much better and faster than stock 1.6 IMO.

3. Phateless

Yeah, that's what happened last time I unrooted for a day.

The whole reason I rooted in the first place was so I could overclock and run Pandora and Navi at the same time. Since those are two of the most-used functions on my phone, the total instability of those apps with all three roms I tried made it a moot point.

I just got frustrated and wanted my phone to be reliable again. CM6 wouldn't even display the lock screen at all, ever. Maybe at some point I'll re-root and give it another go, but at the moment I'm thinking I'll use universal androot to root my stock rom, overclock it and go on my merry way without reflashing any other roms.

4. mikeyinid

mikeyinid Active Member

How do you unroot? Im gonna wanna do it when the official 2.2 is released and im not sure how to. Do i have to find a stock rom and use androot to unroot? Or can i just leave the custom rom and unroot?

5. Phateless

It's super easy, just the very beginning of rooting. You can leave your custom rom on there because SAPPIMG.nbh will overwrite everything anyway.

Format your SD card, put SAPPIMG.nbh on it, not in any folder or anything, just on the sd itself. Boot into fastboot, load SAPPIMG.nbh, and then that's it. Once your phone is on for about 24 hours you'll get the OTA update to Donut.

How To: UnRoot Your MyTouch 3G/MyTouch 1.2 MyTouch and Get Back to Cupcake (Updated 04.19.10) | TheUnlockr

mikeyinid likes this.
  6. mikeyinid

mikeyinid Active Member

Ummm. I have no idea idea what your taking about. I didnt root like that. Here is how i did it----http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=764530----I found this and being a new android owner with minimal computer skills, I jumped onit. It worked and was super easy......

7. Phateless

Yeah I'll probably do it that way next time I root.

8. mikeyinid

mikeyinid Active Member

So, in the androot app, it has a root button and a unroot button. And that guy says in there that androot will unroot also. But do i need to find a stock rom or can i push the unroot button and unroot with CM-RC3?

9. Phateless

So now I see the update under system update in settings, but when I try to download, it won't. It looks like it's starting, then it stops. It says requires a restart, but then I reboot the phone and it doesn't work. What gives?

10. Phateless

I did another factory reset, and this time I'm not restoring anything from MyBackupPro until I get that stupid update.

11. mikeyinid

mikeyinid Active Member

Ha! I guess i should open my eyes a little... Im new to this so...I tried doing it the way you say and.....IT WORKS.....I was gonna root my sisters 1 day old MT3G but wanted tomake sure i could undo it...thanks for the help :)

12. Phateless

No worries, this stuff is all really confusing until you've spent about two weeks straight reading up on it, then it somehow seems really simple. :rolleyes:

:D

13. Phateless

Wow... finally got my update and used Universal Androot, then installed setcpu. That's all I wanted this whole time! lol...