Unrooted OTA 2.2 Incredible and what to do now

Last Updated:

1. superstretch

superstretch Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everyone-
    Just wanted to say thanks for the topics and information on this site. Unfortunately, its a bit overwhelming to dig through literally hundreds of pages of posts to find answers but I've done what I can with search and perhaps this topic is enough of a fork to warrant a thread.

I'm a bit behind- I haven't had the Incredible for that long and so I was planning on going the root/Cyanogen route this week (at the encouragement of a friend who has done the same). Unfortunately, before I could act on that, I got the OTA update today and now I have Froyo and no root. My reasons for root are my own, but are probably shared by most everyone (say, for instance, you're about to spend a month in a remote location with no ISP)

What can I do now- now that I've been upped to 2.2 and have no root? Downgrade? Try unrevoked?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement
  2. MutantCheese

MutantCheese Well-Known Member

This just sucks, here I have been having this phone since June, patiently waiting for FROYO and still nothing and someone who doesn't want it, gets it before I do.....:/

BTW, good luck on your root...

superstretch likes this.
  3. jbh00jh

jbh00jh Well-Known Member

You can not root with 2.2. You will have to downgrade to 2.1 before you can root. It will probably be a month or so before 2.2 will be rooted ( just a guess ).
    Check the forums for downgrade instructions , I've never downgraded.

superstretch likes this.
  4. ilinimud

ilinimud Well-Known Member

Install the RUU???? Seems more people are having trouble with the OTA running wonky. With the RUU you get a fresh install on a clean phone.

5. whipstitch

whipstitch Active Member

If you just want free tethering get the PDAnet app - no need to root

superstretch likes this.
  6. superstretch

superstretch Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Will try. If this works, you are my new hero and I'll forgo downgrading and instead just wait for the rooting of 2.2

7. jasperwill

jasperwill Well-Known Member

pdanet is a great app. and if you have blu-tooth for your laptop then you dont even need a usb cable :)

although i personally think its better to use the cable so that your phone stays charged while ur using it for a modem.