Unrooted to install Nov. OTA - now can't get update

Last Updated:

1. turbozombie

turbozombie Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was running a rooted 2.2 with Unrevoked and S-OFF. I put everything back to stock, including S-ON. Rebooted, all is fine, back to stock, got the prompt to install the November update. I said yes to install and reboot. It never did anything.. I verified my software version and still have the old one. Tried rebooting, checking system updates, going to the market, etc. No update :( Anyone else run into this? Did it eventually show up?

Advertisement
  2. dextersmom

dextersmom Member

same exact story for me...did everything including the tutorial that would unroot, remove clockworkmod, and set it back to exact factory....still no dice....asked in another thread and the answer I got was to manually install the nov update...I'll do that in a day or two If nobody can offer an actual explanation....if you happen to fix it or find out the problem please leme know thanks!

3. turbozombie

Thanks for your reply. I did manage to solve the issue by doing a factory reset. Wiped everything clear, but after that the update showed up after about 5 minutes. Hope this helps!

4. dextersmom

dextersmom Member

yeah unfortunately i did that....got prompted again to update but had the same problem.....i'm wondering if clockwork recovery mod has anything to do with it...but can't get a straight answer :(

5. sequre

sequre Well-Known Member

same exact thing on my wife's Incredible. Still waiting...

6. dextersmom

dextersmom Member

lol i'm on the verge of smashing the phone and buying a new one.......i don't wanna hafta do that

7. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

If the downgrade went properly, you shouldn't have any trace of Clockwork left. Once it's gone, that's it. There's no remnants of it on the phone. I guess you could remove the Clockwork folder from the SD card if it's still there but that shouldn't have anything to do with receiving an OTA and I doubt it will make a shred of difference.

Is your Superuser app gone? If you really want to double check for the presence/absence of Clockwork, turn off phone, then volume down + power button to access hboot, then select recovery. If you get the triangle with the ! inside, you're back to the stock recovery and Clockwork is nonexistent.

8. dextersmom

dextersmom Member

actually i get the icon with the "X"

but I'm gonna try and run the 2.2 downgrade again after removing the clockwork folder

9. dextersmom

dextersmom Member

k guys...with the help of iowabowtech the issue has been solved......run his 2.2 downgrade to remove root and clockwork recovery mod....if this doesn't solve the issue for you then also:

1. make sure you delete the clockwork recovery mod folder from your sd card.
    2. pull the sd card from your device.
    3. power off the phone and restart in hboot (hold vol down and the power button)
    4. do a factory reset (which you will have to reactivate your phone once that is complete)
    5. the update should get pushed to your phone and this time it SHOULD reboot and install the update (it finally did for me)
    6. replace the sd card after you go through the "welcome to your new phone" set up process.

thus far it is working fine and upgraded correctly to the current software version: 3.26.605.1

10. TheBeardedMann

TheBeardedMann Well-Known Member

I'm curious...why are you doing this?

11. dextersmom

dextersmom Member

I love the classic response from the rooting advocates....honestly I had no real need to have my phone rooted...it did everything i needed it to do before rooting and as we saw...for me and a few others it just caused problems. I probably could find some benefits from rooting and then using custom roms, but my schedule at this point is just too busy to take the time needed to learn the real "ins" of it all.

then between all the flashing this and flashing that and backing up I decided it wasn't what i wanted...I only really did it to customize the UI themes and such and came to find out what I wanted in terms of those features, simply didn't exist.

I'll continue to keep up with the forums and tech cuz I did even before I rooted but for now my phone will remain s-on factory style

12. turbozombie

Same thing here... I love being rooted (to get rid of bloatware and ads), but it's just too much of a hassle whenever a new OTA comes out. Right now I'm fully stock with S-ON, I'm sure eventually I'll get annoyed again and re-root :)

For those still unable to get the November update, I did remove the Clockwork folder from my SDcard as someone suggested, maybe that's why it worked for me.

13. Voldawg24

Voldawg24 New Member

I'm having similar problems as well. Unrooted my phone and can't do the OTA update. It says it will reboot but nothing happens. I notice when I go into Hboot it says S-off. How do I change that?

14. Voldawg24

Voldawg24 New Member

Followed your advice and BOOM got the update! Thanks!