Unrooting and 2.1

Last Updated:

1. jlb44

jlb44 Member This Topic's Starter

If you unroot your droid(which i did) will you still get the droid 2.1 update. And in case you didnt know i talked to a verizon employee today and he said they started to give out the update yesterday. He said they are givng it out little at a time and about 10,000 people got it yesterday. He is sure because a droid user came in asking what was wrong with his droid, when in fact it was the update. So the update is officially out. Because of this i unrooted my droid, so will i stil be able to get the update or did i screw it up?

Advertisement
  2. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Actually just so you know the update started going out on thursday. And you should get the update as long as you have the otacerts.zip file still. If you disable it when you rooted then you might not have it.

3. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

Do yourself a favor and do some serious reading in the threads in this forum. You may change your mind about the OTA update. I'm not going to go into detail as it has been said many times in may posts but to be brief, there are some amazing new ROMs (and its only been a few days) based on the ESE81 release that would probably be a better alternative than going with the 2.1 stock.

4. Stretch2m

Stretch2m Well-Known Member

I second shrink57's suggestion. Read up on 2.1. It does NOTHING that hasn't already been emulated in other ROMs, and then you lose root capabilities on top of that. I learned this the hard way, and I regret it. My options now are to try the risky SBF solution to restore 2.0.1 (which did not work when I tried it but luckily didn't kill my phone), or to wait until someone finds a way to root 2.1. Hopefully it won't be very long, after which I will NEVER do an official update again - I will hold off until there is a root alternative every time.

Let me reiterate - there is NOTHING special about the official 2.1 update. There are several MUCH BETTER ROMs out there that do everything in the 2.1 update and much more.

5. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

I have no ability to figure why a rooted user would want to have anything to do with the OTA 2.1. If the original stock 2.0.1 got bettered so fast by the early 2.0.1 ROM's, why in the world would anybody think the OTA 2.1 would be any different? Besides the 2.1 ROM's have been out for a couple of weeks already. I can't see that the OTA 2.1 as being able to offer anything over Cyanogen, Ultimate Droid, Bugless Beast...pick your flavor. It sounds like there is a lot better from them right around the corner too. Why would you risk loosing root with the OTA? Sorry to be a preacher, but I don't get it. :)

6. shrink57

There are 2 types of learners:

1 - Empirical - those that use others evidence, experience, and their own observations to draw conclusions and make smart decisions.

2 - Experiential - No matter what they see or told have to go ahead and experience it themselves even when common sense says otherwise. (these are the ones that will unroot and be sorry they did).

Class dismissed :cool:

ska.t73 likes this.
  7. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

You meant a couple of months, right? ;)

8. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

Lol. Take it from me. I did the manual install of the new 2.1. And it really isnt that great. Im a first time rooter as of about 2 days ago. And omg. 2.1 fails compared to the abilities you get with rooting and modding.

9. shrink57

And another user has seen the light. Hallelujah :D

10. CRPercodani

Can I get a AMEN?

11. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

I wonder if we could establish a "Church of Root".

We could put little fish with "su" inside them on the backs of our cars and the preachers could dress like ninjas.

12. CRPercodani

Ok but I am a preacher. Actually I wanna be the pope or a cardinal, yea that is the shit right there.

13. Fadelight

You want to be a pope? :confused:

I'm not even going to touch that one. :D (no pun intended.)

14. CRPercodani

yes, so i can molest all of you! hahaha

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

15. shrink57

I want to be commander of the RLA - Rooters Liberation Army.

16. Fadelight

I'm in for that one! The pope idea is just too freaky for me. lol.

17. shrink57

You have just been drafted. You are now second in command :D

18. Fadelight

Yes SIR! Thank you, SIR!

19. shrink57

(my apologies to Stanley Kubrick) - "This is my d**k and this is my ROM. This is for sex and this is for fun."

20. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

Lol. I have seen the light. And boy is it pretty. Is the RLA still recruiting? I just want to be a grunt. Guns are my thing.