• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unrooting Evo..Gone Bad!?

hunterx119

Jan 20, 2010
Ok, so i rooted my evo the other night, using first unrevoked to get the clockwork recovery, then flashed Cynogenmod 6.1.2. I found out it isnt all that cracked up to be, so i did some reading on how to unroot. The easiest way i found was to run the RUU.. so i downloaded it and ran it, only to get about halfway done, with it coming up with an error saying that there were some corrupt files on it. I look at the download and see that it was only, 173mb instead of 193 like everyone was saying how big it should be. So, i go and try to get into my recovery, and the only screen that will come up is a black one saying HTC in the middle with 4 triangles with exclamation points in the corners! I can get no other screen.

Ive tried:
-pulling the battery, then trying to boot into hboot, with pwr and volume down
-A full download of the RUU
-----This doesnt detect that my phone is plugged in however...

I dont know what else to do or try honestly. I hope it isnt bricked or anything. Any suggestions?

Do you have a Hero or an Evo? I would guess Hero, but your subject says Evo. I'm not all that familiar with the Hero, so if that's what you meant, you should probably have a mod move this to the Hero section where more people will be able to help you.

Until then, I can try a little troubleshooting for you. When you try to get to hboot, is that where you get the black screen, or are you at least able to get to hboot?

Upvote 0
But no, i cant get into hboot at all. I pull the battery, then put it back in, it comes up with the black HTC screen with the triangles, only when its plugged in via usb though. When i unplug it, it goes to the screen where the hboot would normally be but there are no options, just a highlighted yellow RUU word, which does nothing.

Upvote 0
Let me just get a few more details here. Did you try flashing a PC36IMG or was this an actual RUU (exe run from a computer). Trying to unroot via a RUU has been known to cause problems sometimes (corrupted files aside). Also, did you flash the S-ON tool from unrevoked, first?

If we can get things back up and running, I will say there really is no need to unroot if you don't like a ROM. There are many others out there.

Upvote 0
I actually got it to work, lol. I ran the RUU multiple times out of desparation, and it eventually picked up that my evo was connected to the computer. I think i better do some more reading before i try and root this thing again, its pretty scary stuff when you dont know whats going on, lol. thanks for your help though :D

Upvote 0
Glad you got it working :). You *almost* had me stumped, there. I was tracking down some information I found here:

[Q] EVO stuck with HTC logo and 4 triangles with !'s - xda-developers

As for reading, yes, that is a very good idea. Read the entire rooting for dummies sticky. It has a lot of valuable information. What you should take away from this is:

1) Unless you flat out can't get into hboot, you haven't bricked your phone yet.
2) Unless you need to take your phone in for service, there is no good reason to unroot.
3) Always make a nandroid backup before flashing a new ROM. If you don't like the new ROM, just restore your backup, or flash a different ROM.

One last thing, did you ever verify that you now have s-on? In addition to either running an RUU or flashing a PC36IMG, you need to flash the s-on tool, first. Did you do that?

Also, should you ever need to unroot again, I suggest you flash a PC36IMG.zip from hboot instead of running a RUU. They are available in that same sticky.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones