• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root UnRooting help

Upvote 0
could this be the problem?
Try this one. Some people have reported that this one doesn't work right, as hboot will see it, but never prompt to update. As such, before you copy it over, open it (don't unzip it, just open it) and delete the entire META-INF folder inside, then copy it over and try. I think that's what's causing the problem. ____________

Upvote 0
question does it matter if the sd card i am using is not the one used when the phone was rooted? somehow i lost it .

Yes, for some reason or another, this won't work with certain cards. It seems to have a problem, mostly, with cards smaller than 8 GB, but I've seen it happen with cards as big as 32 GB. *Usually* it just tries to scan for the file, then just drops you back at the hboot menu after a minute or so. That's not always the case. What card are you using?

could this be the problem?
Try this one. Some people have reported that this one doesn't work right, as hboot will see it, but never prompt to update. As such, before you copy it over, open it (don't unzip it, just open it) and delete the entire META-INF folder inside, then copy it over and try. I think that's what's causing the problem. ____________

Could be. If you open up the zip, do you see a META-INF folder? That means it's signed. The one I was referring to was from a different source (probably), and I know it's signed. I'm not going to take the time to download the one you're using, so just open it and look. Pending your answer to the sdcard question, this might be your issue. Try removing the META-INF folder if it's there, then try again.

Upvote 0
Yep, that's your problem. If you can get your hands on a 8 GB card like the stock one, it should work fine. Another option is to use the RUU, which you run from your computer while your phone is connected via usb. PC36IMG.zip is definitely a better, more reliable option, but a RUU *should* work, too. I don't think it will care about sdcard size like PC36IMG does. It's worth a try.

Upvote 0
I just got back from trying to find an 8gb card. Went by Verizon 1st, and i had to sign in and wait just to buy a sd card and there were 10 people in front of me, so i turned around went to At&T and they wanted almost $50 for an 8 gig card, i turned around and went to wal mart and spent 21 bucks for one. Then ran into a homeless drifter/ hippie guy, thats traveling across america in a big bus which i signed... Ugh after all this i hope it works. If not i am just going to send it into sprint and play dumb.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones