• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unrooting issues

rlister39

Jul 8, 2010
In the process of unrooting, I downloaded the s-off tool, installed it.
Downloaded the pc36img file for my hboot, apparently it installed.

Now when I try to boot into recovery, I cant use the volume up/down buttons to get into recovery.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry, I don't quite understand exactly what you're asking for, so let me see if I can break this down.

1) You're trying to unroot, correct?

2) "I downloaded the s-off tool, installed it." Do you mean the s-on tool from unrevoked? That is what you're supposed to flash, since you're trying to go from s-off to s-on. How did you flash it? From recovery? If you turn your phone off, then press and hold the volume down button while turning the phone back on, that will take you to hboot. Do you see s-on or s-off?

3) What PC36IMG did you download? The one for your hboot from...what source (just so I can verify for you)? Did you put it on the root of your sdcard, then boot into hboot? Did it specifically say it was flashing it?

4) "Now when I try to boot into recovery, I cant use the volume up/down buttons to get into recovery." I don't quite understand this part. Are you saying you can't use the volume up/down buttons in hboot to navigate to select the recovery option? You shouldn't even have a custom recovery anymore if you successfully flashed the PC36IMG.

Let me know, and I'll be happy to help you troubleshoot your exact problem.

Upvote 0
My mistake with the s-off, it now has s-on. I am attempting to use the link provided here that took me to Megaupload.

I have the pc36img file in the root directory. I think I may have mistakenly NOT hit update.

As for the volume up/down button, yes when I boot to Hboot, it wont move up or down it will only load pc36img over and over.

When this is done, would I then be able to OTA with the new OTA that is out from Sprint ?

Upvote 0
My mistake with the s-off, it now has s-on. I am attempting to use the link provided here that took me to Megaupload.

I have the pc36img file in the root directory. I think I may have mistakenly NOT hit update.

As for the volume up/down button, yes when I boot to Hboot, it wont move up or down it will only load pc36img over and over.

When this is done, would I then be able to OTA with the new OTA that is out from Sprint ?

Ah, now I understand :). Make sure you actually accept the update. Once you've done it once, boot up into android, verify that you are back to stock, then delete or move that PC36IMG off the root of the sdcard. Otherwise, it will try to load every time you go to hboot.

Reactions: rlister39
Upvote 0
You made it pretty simple !! I am now unrooted and updated.

Thanks for your help!

Do the apps that I paid for while rooted still work, or am I able to download them again ?

It doesn't matter what state your phone was in when you bought apps. They are tied to your google account. You can redownload them. That being said, if I'd known you were just trying to update, I could have showed you how to do so and keep root. Do you still want root? Luckily, you can still root since unrevoked has been updated.

Upvote 0
It doesn't matter what state your phone was in when you bought apps. They are tied to your google account. You can redownload them. That being said, if I'd known you were just trying to update, I could have showed you how to do so and keep root. Do you still want root? Luckily, you can still root since unrevoked has been updated.

I am about to do the same thing and would rather not for an update. akazabam, can you lend some knowledge on how to do the OTA without un-rooting?

Thanks....

Upvote 0
I am about to do the same thing and would rather not for an update. akazabam, can you lend some knowledge on how to do the OTA without un-rooting?

Thanks....

Sure. Assuming you have full root, you need to install a ROM based on 3.70. Some people choose to take the opportunity to try out some custom ROMs, while others just want to stick with something as stock as possible. Here's a couple of very close to stock ROMs:

[ROM] RUU SuperSonic EvO 3.70.651.1 OTA - Stock - Sense - Deodexed & Odexed Version - xda-developers
♠♠♠[SteelROM RevI.2]♠♠♠ UPDATED 12/24 v3.70.651.1 │Rooted│ DeOdexed - xda-developers

I won't go into detail here, but deodexed simply means you can apply themes (such as those found on xda). If you want to try any custom ROM, you can find a full list here:

HTC Supersonic/ROMs - XDA-Developers

Just make sure you use one that is based on 3.70.651.1. The list shows which ones are.

Anyway, once you flash your ROM of choice from recovery, you will need to update your radios, etc. to the latest versions. You can find them here:

[ Radios ][ 12-17 ] All EVO Radio, WiMAX, PRI, NV & HBoot versions - xda-developers

You flash them from recovery like any other update package. Make sure you follow the prompts when doing so. It looks a little different when updating than other updates. That being said, you can either update them all at once with the combo update or separately. Should you run into any issues, previous versions of the radios are provided. I strongly suggest you record your current radio versions somewhere so you know what to go back to. More than likely, you have the version directly before the latest, but only you know what OTA you accepted last.

EDIT: And just so no one thinks this is off topic from the OP, this is valuable information. rlister39, keep this in mind before unrooting to accept an OTA. You lucked out this time since unrevoked got an update, but many, many people unrooted before unrevoked got the update, and were stuck without root.

EDIT2: rlister39, I totally missed where you asked if you could update after unrooting before you actually did. So sorry. Anyway, you can reroot again, now, if you like. Just follow the above instructions should there be another OTA.

Reactions: sdezrilov
Upvote 0
So; I flashed my first ROM yesterday, wow very cool. The phone seem snappy and exciting again. I flashed Myn's Warm RLS 5 and love it... Problem is, and not sure it's a huge problem, but my radios update never took. So the question is, do I leave it the was it is, or start over again?? The few times I tried flashing the radios earlier today, nothing changed. Any help would be much appreciated.

Edit - fixed problem by downgrading CM to 2.6, now all is well.

Upvote 0
I assume you mean, right CW, not CM, right? You had 3.0 before? That would definitely make sense if it just didn't want to flash. Did it give you errors when you tried? Good job getting it working :). Myn updated his update script to work with CW 3.0.x.x, btw, in case you're wondering why that part worked.

Yes, CW and now everything looks to be right, sure not seeing any problems anywhere. Even tried 4G with great speediest results, 1st time in a 4G area and couldn't resist.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones