Unrooting my Galaxy S4?

1. manicmoonrise

manicmoonrise Member

Several months ago I installed CyanogenMod on my GS4. Samsung's pre-installed, irremovable apps slowed my RAM to an unbearable extent. However, I haven't been able to update to CM11 (mid update the phone aborts and boots un-updated, or even better, goes into a boot-loop) and the OS performance has deteriorated. At this point I just want to reinstall Android and update to KitKat, but I've had issues finding a method that works. Help?

Advertisement
    :
  2. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Nope. First - apps that aren't actually running aren't in RAM, they're just in storage. Second, the RAM runs at the speed of the CPU memory bus - apps running have nothing to do with it.

Go to SamMobile Firmwares and put your model number (not S4) in the search box. Find the ROM for your particular country/carrier. Download that.

If there's an orange box to the right end of that listing you can install it with Kies, otherwise you install it with Odin.

You probably won't find 4.3 up there yet for your phone, so install the latest one you find. If/when your carrier releases 4.3, your phone will update. When they release 4.4, it will update again.

Be sure to back EVERYTHING up. Flashing a new ROM removes everything that's not on the SD card (which should be removed while you're flashing the ROM).
    manicmoonrise and codesplice like this.
  3. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Geek Moderator

Hi manicmoonrise, and welcome to Android Forums :)

I've merged your threads together in the (Sprint) Galaxy S4 All Things Root so that it will be easier for users to help you out. :thumbup:

As Rukbat suggested, I'd head over to SamMobile Firmwares to get the latest stock firmware. The model number for the Sprint GS4 is SPH-L720, so here's the relevant page: Firmwares | SamMobile

You'll use Samsung Kies to install. Let us know if you run into any issues :)
    manicmoonrise and IOWA like this.
  4. manicmoonrise

manicmoonrise Member

Thanks to the both of you. I'll give it a go tonight.
  5. manicmoonrise

manicmoonrise Member

So the apps that were running in the background have nothing to do with the RAM? There were many preinstalled apps that would run in the background that I would stop, and every time I had to reboot they would start up again. The speed became noticeably slower and it drove me nuts.
  6. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Geek Moderator

Android manages memory in a different way from what you may be used to. In short, it's good for the RAM on your device to remain almost-full all the time; with Android, any free RAM is wasted.

More detail (from LifeHacker):
  7. manicmoonrise

manicmoonrise Member

I've run into an issue. Samsung Kies won't connect to my S4. It just remains in "connecting to device" mode until it times out. I'm wondering if Kies will connect with my CM OS. Should I try Odin instead?
  8. manicmoonrise

manicmoonrise Member

I'd been trying to unroot and reinstall Android after having a terrible Cyanogenmod experience. I tried downloading Odin and the stock rom, but Odin wouldn't recognize the rom (I found this rom on sammobile.com). I then tried the mobile Odin app, and tried to flash the rom that way. Nope... BRICKED. All it does is boot to the Galaxy S4 screen, and then dies again (and for some reason keeps vibrating). Took several tries but I finally got it to go into ODIN download mode. So now I'm trying to download a different stock rom from stockrom.net, and that's currently taking 4 hours to download to my PC. I'm hoping to try Odin again but with this different rom... but now I'm terrified I've permanently bricked my phone and I'm just screwed. Yes, I'm a really optimistic person.

Does anyone know how to SUCCESSFULLY unbrick a phone? I am freaking out here.
  9. manicmoonrise

manicmoonrise Member

And now my phone is bricked. I hate myself.
  10. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A bricked phone is one that does not respond to anything whatsoever.
    Your phone is not bricked.
    As long as you can get your phone into download mode you will be fine after the correct subsequent Odin flash.

To go into download mode correctly:
    1. Turn off device
    2. Keep the POWER button pressed until you feel it vibrate
    3. Immediately press the VOL-DOWN button
    4. Press VOL-UP to confirm download mode

Your phone will then be able to successfully receive a firmware flash through Odin:

1. Start Odin
    2. Browse for the stock firmware you downloaded from sammobile (usually a .tar or .md5 file). To do this click the AP button (Odin 3.09) or PDA button (pre Odin 3.09)
    3. Connect your handset (which is in download mode) with a genuine USB cable to your PC
    4. If all is well, the COM port in odin will then turn blue (Odin 3.09) or yellow (Pre Odin 3.09)
    5. Click the Start button to begin the flash.

Robert will then be your mother's brother.
    manicmoonrise and electricpete like this.
  11. ironass

ironass Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1. Your phone is NOT bricked as you are able to turn it on and get into Download mode.

2. If you have the Sprint (CDMA) version of the Galaxy S4, (SPH-L720), you will need to download the following firmware...

Model: SPH-L720
    Model name: GALAXY S4
    Version: Android 4.4.2
    Changelist: 481102
    Build date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 13:07:34 +0000
    Product Code: SPR
    PDA: L720VPUFNAE
    CSC: L720SPTFNAE
    MODEM: L720VPUFNAE

3. You will also need to install Odin v3.09, (do not use Mobile Odin), on your PC.

4. Ensure your phone is fully charged and put it into Download mode.

5. Open Odin and extract the .tar file for your firmware and put it in AP on Odin. Do not tick the Partition box in Odin and make sure that Kies is not running on you PC.

6. Connect your phone to your PC via the USB cable that came with the phone and wait for the Comms box in Odin to turn blue.

7. Press Start in Odin and the firmware will be flashed to your phone and the phone should automatically reboot. Do not remove the phone until Odin shows Reset, (about 2 mins), and your phone has rebooted, (anything up to 5 mins)..

8. Any problems with the phone booting normally, just boot into Recovery Mode and wipe the Cache Partition. See #1.2 of the Update Problems - Dummies Guide.

EDIT Double drat! Ninja'd by the old boy, Hawker! :stickyman:
    electricpete likes this.
  12. manicmoonrise

manicmoonrise Member

So if I have a working rom, Odin will recognize it? It didn't before, but I'm really not sure if it was the file that was corrupted or that I just wasn't using Odin correctly. I have my device driver installed, I'm opening Odin under "Run as administrator", I had tried to open the file under every file drop (the BL, AP, CP, CSC) but it wouldn't appear. Am I missing anything?
  13. ironass

Did you extract the .tar file from the downloaded .zip file as per #5 of my post?

"Download the .zip file to your desktop and unzip it. To extract the file, just right click on it and select 7-Zip/WinRAR/Winzip and, "Extract here". This extracted .tar file is the one you will need. This is the .tar file that contains the firmware for your phone. To avoid confusion you can now delete the original .zip file that it came with."
  14. manicmoonrise

manicmoonrise Member

By the way, I'd gotten that specific rom from sammobile. It just wouldn't open with Odin.
  15. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

You are not grasping how dangerous arbitrary flashing can be, especially in Odin, and DOUBLE especially if you are attempting to flash random stuff into the bootloader (BL) box. If you want to actually brick your device, then crack on Tiger!

Use the button I mentioned to browse, and as I already mentioned, browse for the downlaoded .tar (or .md5) file.

If the download site gave an md5 checksum for the file you downlaoded, then download a md5 checksum tool onto your pc to verify it
  16. manicmoonrise

manicmoonrise Member

Windows extracted it for me once I double clicked on the zip file. Once unzipped and opened, there were two files. One was the actual rom (the 1.5 GB), and then (I think) the applications file. Does that sound right?
  17. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

ZIP file?
    A ZIP file is for flashing in recovery only.

You need a .tar, or a .md5 file for an Odin flash
    manicmoonrise likes this.
  18. ironass

I shall back off Hawker, old thing, as I do not wish to confuse manicmoonrise any further.

"Too many cooks spoil the broth."

Catch you later, down the pub for a large one. :cheers:
  19. manicmoonrise

manicmoonrise Member

Ah, I think I understand now. No, I hadn't had a md5 tool, but I found one. Once my rom is finished downloading I'll give it a try.

I've been up all night trying to figure this out. It's been a truly pleasant experience.
  20. DonB

DonB ♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™ Moderator

MM, I merged your 2 threads together, since one was about the same discussion in a none ATR section, this is the best place to get your issues resolved for your situation, cheers. ;)
  21. manicmoonrise

manicmoonrise Member

I did what you said. Extracted the files using WinRAR, was able this time to actually open the MD5 file in the AP box with Odin. Odin's last command was "Leaving CS...", and I never saw it load into the ID:COM. I watched a video tutorial of Odin, and at this point the rom was supposed to show up as green in the ID:COM. I kept waiting but nothing else happened, so I hit Start, but then the whole process failed.
  22. dynomot

dynomot Well-Known Member

Start again from scratch. Even with the PC.

Once the PC has rebooted and is up and running close Kies entirely, use windows task manager to close any of it's processes as well. It interferes with Odin and the two basically "don't get on". You need Kies installed on the PC to use Odin for the drivers only

Right, run Odin (V3.09 is the best, as recommended) as an administrator on your PC. Get into download mode on your phone and then press volume up to continue to the big green Android screen. Now plug your phone into the PC, Odin will register it as connected by turning an oblong box third row down, far left blue along with the message 0:[COMX] (Where the "X" after COM is a number). It will also say <ID:0/00X> Added!! (again, that "X" is the same number as above) in the large notification box bottom left.

Now in this order do this as said by Hawker an Ironass :

1. Browse for the stock firmware you downloaded from sammobile. Noting that Sammobile downloads the firmware in a .zip file that needs to be extracted/unzipped and it is the .tar or .md5 file in it you need.

To do this click the AP button and make sure the AP check box is ticked, find and select the extracted/unzipped .tar or .tar Md5 file.

2. Make absolutely sure the only check boxes in Odin ticked are : AP(next to the AP button), Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time both under the (now blue) ID COM box. NOTHING ELSE NEEDS TICKING AT ALL

3. Click the Start button to begin the flash.

Now wait until Odins notification box says "Reset", and your phone reboots as said. Then unplug the phone - Job done.
  23. manicmoonrise

manicmoonrise Member

So the only thing I noticed that could possibly be what I'm doing incorrectly is the part where you said "You need Kies installed on your PC to use Odin for the drivers only." I do not have Kies installed at all. Is this what's causing the process to fail?
  24. manicmoonrise

manicmoonrise Member

Sorry, I misunderstood. I already have the Samsung USB drivers installed. I'm currently downloading another firmware in hopes that it was just the previous one that wasn't up to par. Could there be anything else that could possibly be causing interference with Odin?
  25. dynomot

dynomot Well-Known Member

Only Kies running, but you say you don't have it installed.

I am now confused, you say you have the drivers for the phone installed to your PC without Kies ? I don't think this is possible. Without Kies your phone will connect and on first plug in activate a download for drivers to work as an MPT device or camera, but these are not the Kies specific drivers you need, only downloading and installing Kies will install them on your PC

To avoid further confusion visit the Samsung site and download and install Kies, then run it once without the phone plugged in at all. Shut it down completely, including any of it's processes via windows task manager before embarking on what I posted above.
    manicmoonrise likes this.