• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unrooting my Rise to stock help

So I rooted my Rise. But I never figured that I'd need to unroot it, and I didn't make a backup of the stock files.
Now my GF wants to use my Rise (I just bought a Moto G) and I need a step-by-step guide to unroot it, because I'm an idiot. LOL

Try factory resetting it in recovery. That should restore the su file that came with the Rise, making it unrooted. I did it recently with an Event, which is essentially the same phone as the Rise, minus the QWERTY keyboard.

Exactly which stock files did you delete? If it's mostly the Google software, all of that can be reinstalled via Google Play. If it's apps like Connections Optimizer, someone else with a Rise should be able to supply you with that software. You will need the apk and odex parts of whatever needs to be restored.

I'm on a LG Optimus F3 now, so I can't help you with the exact layout of where the software needs to go. Most of the stock apps usually sit within the /system/apps folder.

Upvote 0
Why would you need to unroot it for her to use it? You should be able to change accounts for this phone without unrooting it. I had no problem doing it with my wife's a few months ago. You can always try a factory reset if its really a problem for you, but you'll need to go into settings and check for updates, and reboot once more "if" it updates anything, then open terminal, and type su. If you get denied root access you're golden. I'm not sure there ever were any updates for this phone though, aside from prl which wouldn't revert root.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones