Unrooting process changed at all?

Last Updated:

1. tbeas

tbeas Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. DizkoDan

DizkoDan Well-Known Member

It's changed in that you don't need to go back to 2.1 anymore, because 2.2 is the supported OS now. You would have to be S-ON before unrooting, because you'll have to reroot in order to apply the change.

3. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

Will the RUU take if I'm already on the same version of it, say I'm 2.2 rooted s-off, I do s-on, and then I can run the 2.2 RUU to send it back? for some reason I had it in my min dI had to go back down to 2.1 PB31IMG.zip from the 2.1 RUU then s-on then 2.2 RUU.

4. DizkoDan

DizkoDan Well-Known Member

I haven't seen this documented, but I imagine you should be able to follow a similar procedure of flashing the stock 2.2 recovery image, just like we had been doing for the 2.1 image.

5. Bob Denny

Bob Denny Well-Known Member

6. tbeas

7. desperado

desperado Well-Known Member

Note sure if the question has been answered. What are the steps for unrooting if you are on a stock 2.2 dinc and using the Unrevoked one-click beta to root ?

8. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

I extracted the 2.2 image from the RUU but haven't used it yet. If anyone wants to give this a shot and can verify success, I'll draft up a tutorial as this is surely going to be a common need. I was getting ready to try it myself but I may as well save myself the work of re-rooting if people already need it for returns.

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

MD5: 784d7d55d987ed5afa7b10a30b402fb4

Basic instructions for now:
    -Install on SD card
    -Power off phone
    -Hold volume down while pressing power button to get into hboot
    -Let file get recongized, then volume up to accept update (downgrade in this case)
    -Reboot

This will remove root and return the phone to official 2.2 condition. It will not turn S-on if you need that also but you should be able to do that BEFORE using the downgrade file.

Link to S-on instructs and download here (if needed):

public:forever [RootWiki]

turbozombie likes this.
  9. tbeas

Ok I just finished unrooting my phone. I was running Virtuous ROM 2.7 (not like it matters) and am now back to complete stock everything with S-ON. Here is what I did:

1. Download Unrevoked S-ON .zip file from: public:forever [RootWiki] (unrevoked-forever-son.zip)

2. Apply the S-ON .zip file through Clockwork Recovery (install from .zip)

3. Download 2.2 RUU

4. Flash RUU to phone (several ways to do this, best way is to just use the HBOOT update from PB31IMG.zip method)

I did not do any backups before this because I wanted to be completely stock when I was complete, but I suppose you could save some things to your SD card before you start if you wanted.

turbozombie likes this.
  10. desperado

desperado Well-Known Member

Glad to here you were able to succesfully unroot, that's great info. Your instructions are also helpful but they expect the reader to understan how to do the task for the most part since they are not specific. I have been reading so many posts which are partial and direct you to "just flash the update" etc. I think specific details would make for a great post which should be sticky'ed. Here are my suggestions to make these instructions more complete for the new reader. (that's me) :)

1) OK
    2) Haven't rooted yet, want to understand unroot first. How do you apply the S-ON .zip file though "Clockwork Recovery". Sorry if obvious but I figure since I am confused here others will be also so might as well improve the instructions for noob's :)
    3) OK
    4) This seems to be the key step... Is that the steps iowabowtech provided. I think so but want to confirm.
    -install file on SD card (any special directory ?)
    -poweroff
    -hold vol down and power on for hboot
    -vol up to accept update once recognized
    -reboot

11. iowabowtech

Goes on the root of the SD card, not in any folder.

12. turbozombie

turbozombie Well-Known Member

2. You place the zip on the SD card (not in any folder), then within Clockwork (this will show up in the boot menu of an unrevoked rooted phone) there is an option to install Zip

4. You place the PB31IMG.zip file on the SD card (not in any folder). When you power on the phone while holding volume down, it will find it automatically.

13. Eris Lover

Eris Lover Well-Known Member

Is there a difference between just running the RUU tool and extracting the PB31IMG.zip and installing via Hboot?

14. turbozombie

I can't personally comment on the RUU cause I haven't used that method, but I've used the PB31IMG method. Anyone else know if there's a difference?

15. Eris Lover

You know what doesn't even matter, sounds easy enough using PB31IMG.zip. How about does it matter what version of hboot you have before loading that .zip?
    So many variables to everyones configuartion now! Have to return my phone due to my 2nd blown speaker.

16. Eris Lover

The more I think about it I didn't think you could run the PB31IMG.zip unless you were s-off but the first step has you revert back to s-on?

17. iowabowtech

You can run it being s-on. We were just constantly told to have s-off b/c otherwise we would lose root and couldn't get it back. Now that they have a root tool for 2.2, it's not such a big deal...until things change again. :D

Eris Lover likes this.
  18. turbozombie

I currently have .92 hboot, previously .77. Both worked fine :)

Eris Lover likes this.
  19. tbeas

The PB31IMG.zip method is basically just the rom.zip (which I believe is JUST Froyo, it leaves out all radio, etc updates) from the RUU. Everything else is left out.
    To do this you run the RUU.exe and leave it running, but when you run it find where it extracts the files on your computer (Start Menu > Run > %temp% this should get you there). Go through all of the folders with long names and scroll down until you see rom.zip (about 170MB in size). Move rom.zip to your desktop, rename to PB31IMG.zip, place on root of SD card that is FAT32 formatted, boot into Hboot, volume up to apply update, let it do its thing.

The RUU method gives most people who aren't on Windows XP lots of trouble. I tried just running the .exe and could never get it to work (W7 64-bit here).

Sorry for using jargon and leaving some steps out, but you need to be rooted to do this and once you root you will understand how to do this. It is the same process, just uses different files.

20. iowabowtech

Did you use the file I posted? I wrote up a full tutorial but want to be sure somebody's used it successfully first.

21. bassett

bassett Active Member

I might be wrong about this but if you're looking to unroot for the purpose of taking the phone to VZW for service (and getting rid of evidence that it had been rooted), shouldn't you uninstall Superuser Permissions before you unroot? I ask this because I unrooted and went back down to 2.1 to do some battery testing (wanted to see if 2.2 was causing my fast battery drain) and the Superuser Permissions icon remained even after loading 2.1 and doing hard resets. Once unrooted, the system would not let me remove the icon (and naturally the app would not load anymore because I was no longer rooted).

22. Eris Lover

I'm about to use it. And then write up my own just performed tutorial but will probably wait till monday when I recieve my replacement. Would like to do a step by step from custom rom to stock and right back to where I left off with my old phone.

23. tbeas

I did not do that, and I have no icon for it now that I'm done. The only way they can tell now that I was previously rooted is if they look in the My Downloads section of the Market and see that I have purchased several root-only apps.

24. Eris Lover

Superuser is an app that would have to be installed on your rom. Could it be that you installed the official w/root rom that was available?

25. Eris Lover

Lol, there's no way they will go to those extremes if even any? But would suck to get charged for your replacement. The truth is it's not like I bricked my phone just replacing for blown speaker.