Unrooting? taking into sprint...

Last Updated:

1. jc123

jc123 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Ok i know im going to sound dumb but i just got my evo tuesday and have to take it in since its not letting me call out while roaming i talked to 4 sprint techs none helped. So im going to take it in tomorrow but how can i unroot? and is it possible to do without losing data, a link to a guide would be great.

Also once i get back and have to re-root will i have to go through the long process of downgrading to 2.1 everything then going back to 2.2?

And whats s-off s-on how do i know mine? thanks and sorry

Advertisement
  2. paulgl26

paulgl26 Active Member

tag
    i have the same problem
    i have to take it in because my picture mail is not working and i tried everything over the phone

3. hortstu

hortstu Well-Known Member

You'll get a better answer from someone other than me.

You'll get a better answer from someone other than me.

You can find out if you're s-on or s-off by shutting your phone down. Then hold volume down and turn it back on while holding it. At the top of the screen you will see a bunch of info and either s-on or s-off.

I believe it is basically part of the root process, I'm not sure something to do with superuser privilages. You want it to say s-off when you bring it in to Sprint.

4. overclock

overclock Well-Known Member

1. You can unroot but you will probably lose everything. You could simply do a nandroid and not worry about it. But the problem might manifest itself again.

2. There is the one click method now, unrevoked 3.21.

3. S-OFF is security off. Turn off the phone. Now boot it by holding the down volume button and press the power switch. You'll boot into HBOOT. It says at the top S-ON or S-OFF.

What ROMs are you guys running? Have you considered doing a full wipe and reinstalling a different ROM?

5. paulgl26

paulgl26 Active Member

i got the phone rooted so i don't have any idea
    so if i have the s-off i should be fine?
    if i do a restore to factory i should be fine?
    thx

6. sitlet

sitlet Banned

7. wrapkgb

wrapkgb Well-Known Member

You are most definatly WRONG! You want S-ON if you are taking into Sprint. Follow the link to the guide to unroot and follow the directions. Its real simple, I had to unroot yesterday to take my phone into sprint and it only took about 10-15 mins. Good luck.