Unrooting?

Last Updated:

1. 0zymandias

0zymandias New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everybody

I'm sorry to ask a question that is (probably) so obvious, but I'm new at the whole Android thing, and need someone to hold my hand. I think the benefits of rooting the phone are pretty obvious, but I'm a bit fuzzy on the process, and want to know how to undo it when, for example, I need to send it back to the store for some reason. Is it a simpel matter of deleting some files, or is it a more involved process?

I would really appreciate any input anyone could give me on this.

Advertisement
  2. cmhock

cmhock Member

Found this in another thread...

also check xda forums on Samsung Vibrant, but looks like the same steps to unroot. As far as I can tell, should be no big deal to flip back and forth between root and stock configuration..

3. dontshakepandas

dontshakepandas Well-Known Member

Yes, it is easy to unroot if you need to, as long as you don't mess things up so badly that you cannot go in and delete the files. If that happens, they may not be able to tell that it is rooted anyways.

4. mash4077

mash4077 Active Member

I ask this in anather thread but it sould probably be here
    If rooted can we get ota updates? like froyo when its released.

5. NorCal Einstein

NorCal Einstein Well-Known Member

I'd really like to get an answer to this as well. I see rooting is pretty much all the rage, but I'm trying to figure out the downsides.

6. blackhemi

blackhemi Well-Known Member

I dont know if it was because of me being rooted or not, but after I rooted, I was never able to connected to the at&t servers. I just un-rooted and checked for updates, it connected but no updates available.

7. ducksroc

ducksroc New Member

8. grave101

grave101 Member

When you unroot do you keep all your files and data? Or is it restoring the phone to factory default? And also, can you update to froyo if your rooted with 2.1?

9. stihl29

stihl29 Member

YES, need to know the answer to both of those questions.

10. Aspenator

Aspenator Active Member

I have been wondering this as well. I think that thingscwill stay the same when you unroot, but I'm not sure.

11. Rhiannon224

Rhiannon224 Well-Known Member

If you unroot using Odin you loose everything, if you are flashing with Odin to return the phone, back everything up using Titanium Backup and move the Titanium folder from your phone's internal sd to your external, when you get a new phone move the Titanium folder to your internal and do a complete restore (you must root your phone to do this).

You will get the updates on a rooted phone as long as you didn't flash to a non stock ROM. I am not flashing my ROM with anything. I am rooted and running Unleash The Beast which does not change your stock ROM. When Froyo does update your phone you will be unrooted, no worries, you are already backed up using Titanium so all of your data will be safe, just back up all data and move the folder to your external before doing the update and you will be fine. In no time the guys on XDA will have zip to root you phone again.

IMO, the phone runs better with the root and I like that I have everything backed up. I have rooted, un rooted, rerooted with no probablems and I am a total Android and smartphone noob.

[PROGRAM] One Click Root / UnRoot / All Models for (Mac and PC) - xda-developers