• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"unsupported" with car audio

freagul

Mar 2, 2011
I have a 2010 Honda Fit Sport that features a USB plug so you can use your iPod or other flash drive over the audio AUX. It used to work fine with my iPhone and then my Evo 4G, but I just upgraded to the Galaxy S2 and when I plug it in the audio display just says "UNSUPPORTED". Anyone know how to fix this or am I just SOL?

I have a 2010 Honda Fit Sport that features a USB plug so you can use your iPod or other flash drive over the audio AUX. It used to work fine with my iPhone and then my Evo 4G, but I just upgraded to the Galaxy S2 and when I plug it in the audio display just says "UNSUPPORTED". Anyone know how to fix this or am I just SOL?

Make sure that you set your phone to "Disk Drive" before you plug it in; that should solve your problem!

Tony

Upvote 0
I believe the problem is that older devices (like car USB players) only support the "USB mass storage" protocol, and the E4GT uses the newer MTP (Media Transfer Protocol). MTP is better in many ways, but unfortunately not backwards compatible.

You can try the "USB Utilities" under the "Wireless and Networks" Settings, but I'm not sure that will help. You might do some Google searching on MTP and "USB mass storage".

Tony ... where is this "Disk Drive" setting? I can't find that on my E4GT.

Rob

Upvote 0
I'm having the same problem with my Honda Fit and my Galaxy Nexus. I was thinking maybe it's possible to have an app on the phone pretend it is an iPod or pretend it is using USB mass storage mode. But so far I've found nothing.

This really makes my phone a lot less useful. Anyone have any help for us?

Upvote 0
This really makes my phone a lot less useful. Anyone have any help for us?

There's a thread over on XDA forums which suggests you can turn on UMS mode with: Settings-Applications-Development-check USB debugging

Personally, I've found it easier to use bluetooth or the audio AUX jack with my phone, rather than the USB port. You could also just buy an inexpensive USB drive and copy your music there ... which I think would be more convenient than plugging in the phone each time.

Upvote 0
There's a thread over on XDA forums which suggests you can turn on UMS mode with: Settings-Applications-Development-check USB debugging

Personally, I've found it easier to use bluetooth or the audio AUX jack with my phone, rather than the USB port. You could also just buy an inexpensive USB drive and copy your music there ... which I think would be more convenient than plugging in the phone each time.

Well I plug it in to USB for charging, since I don't own a DC charger. I also like being able to skip songs and select songs or folders using the buttons on the radio, since it feels unsafe to be using the phone while driving for that. If I use a USB drive, I won't be able to charge the phone at the same time without buying a DC charger, and if I use an AUX cable, I won't be able to skip or select songs using the radio controls.

I'll try the debugging trick, though. Hopefully that helps.

Upvote 0
One other thing I forgot to mention was that I saw some posts which mentioned a 'UMS mode' on ICS for the Galaxy S2. If the USB debug setting doesn't work, you might check again when you're upgraded to ICS.

The GN came with ICS, and that UMS mode option is only available on phones that have an SD card slot. GN is internal memory only (32gb).

I still haven't tried the debugging mode. My mother-in-law is borrowing the car for a week, so I'll report back next week sometime.

Upvote 0
You can try the two Settings menu options for enabling UMS:

Applications -> Development -> USB Debugging

or

Wireless and Network -> USB Utilities -> USB Mass Storage

One problem is that on the E4GT these actually create 2 UMS connections (internal and SD card) ... which is fine on a PC, but I'm not sure how a car receiver would deal with that. If neither of those works, then I think you're out of luck at the moment. There might be some other option when ICS is released.

Rob

Yea i have the same issue with my chevy cruze. It is unsupported of the music that i have on the galaxy s2. If their is an solution, i would very much appreciated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones