• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unusable Nexus 4

Ok so I updated my phone to lollipop (huge mistake), tried to downgrade it back to Kitkat. It's been 2 months since, so I would really appreciate any kind of help possible.

1) My USB cable won't detect my phone, so I tried to delete the driver and re-installing .. nothing. Different cable, still nothing. What are my other options ?
2) I'm reading on google that Nexus 4 OTA updates have been launched but I have yet to receive anything, I've tried to click on System Updates multiple times but nothing appears.

Is there anything else I can do to get me out of this mess?

Hi Jenny, welcome to Android Forums.

Why do you say Lollipop was a huge mistake? Was it not working for you? or you just didn't like the changes? Also, when you say you "tried" to revert back to Kit Kat, does that mean you weren't successful?

As far as the OTA is concerned, it would be for Lollipop, so if you weren't all that thrilled with it, I'm not sure why your looking for it again.

The quickest way to see if the problem is the phone, the cable or the PC is to turn on USB debugging and see if adb recognizes it.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
Literally all that works on my phone is Wifi and calling. All my apps crashes multiple times before it actually starts working. I have no text or alarm either. My phone makes weird noises when I'm playing music now, and is super laggy after some time. I wanted to back my stuff up before downgrading and that's when I found out my USB isn't working. I honestly didn't know Lollipop was going to be this glitchy, it worked for 2 days and I was fine with the changes made. I did turn on my debugger, tried to connect it as media or camera and it still didn't read it.

Upvote 0
What about trying a different PC?

I also learned that it was advised to perform a factory reset prior to a major update. Although I didn't do so, I actually update without a reset. I did do a reset after the fact and reinstalled all my apps and such.
I also note that I didn't encounter any of the issues you mention.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The most reliable drivers for the nexus 4 would be the Google drivers included with the SDK.

Try using these drivers. It would be a good idea to remove all the previously installed drivers first. If you still can't get a connection (trying different cables, too), either in fastboot mode or with debugging on, then it would point to a problem with your phone. Possibly the USB port itself.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
What version of Windows are you using? I know that the more recent releases (8.1 and 10, for sure) can be a bit troublesome with getting the drivers to load.

You may also want to try uninstalling all the previously-installed ADB drivers (like @lunatic59 mentioned) and installing this all-in-one driver: https://github.com/koush/UniversalAdbDriver

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones