• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unused apps grabbing cache

patmurph123

Apr 16, 2014
I'm running 4.3 on Sony Xperia M
I run a cache cleaner and sure enough - X Mb cleared. Run it again and it says there is no cache to clear.

Hang around for a while and use say calculator and Gmail.
Run cache cleaner and it says there is cache for apps that haven't been looked at for weeks - e.g. Skype, Facebook, News & Weather as well as apps that definitely have NOT been accessed since the last cache clean - Google Search, Google+ etc.

Cache keeps creeping in for UNUSED apps
This never happened on my olde gingerbread device.

Anyone know how to stop this ?

Tasks that you did not directly invoke can run in the background. I never use Facebook so I can't comment ... but ... I think Facebook has a lot of background tasks running.

The cause of slowing down is almost always due to two things ... you are running a task killer and/or your data cache partition is corrupted.

I recommend removing the task killer if you are using one and clear the cache periodically ... I clear mine every Saturday.

... Thom

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones