• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unwanted 'dump' of text message history

Seems that what I am about to describe has plagued Droid Incredible users (post from another Android forum). Hoping someone using an Evo on Sprint can share some insight and/or solutions to the issue.

At least twice in the past couple months, all of my text messages (several thousand within dozens of conversation threads) have suddenly disappeared without warning.
eek.gif
It basically happens like this: I check or send some texts, check something else on my phone like my email or calender or other routine function, then go back within moments to check or send another text and just like that, my entire text message history is EMPTY. Talk about frustrating!
frown.gif

I have doubled checked my settings and have nothing set that would cause older messages to be purged. Anyone know what may cause this and how to prevent it from happening again? BTW, I also had all my favs as identified in my favs widget totally disappear once (had to re-select each one again). Not sure if this is related, but I thought I mention it.

Also, any recommendations for backing up my text message history would be appreciated.

Thanks!
ME

'Message dump' happened again yesterday: Got home from work in the morning (I work midnights), checked my messages before going to bed as usual (all my history was there), plugged in my phone and hit the sack. When I woke up, I checked my messages first thing and *POOF!* my entire message history was gone, except two messages that arrived from the same person shortly before I awoke. Though it doesn't it happen frequently, it is very frustrating when it does and it leaves me with no message history, something that I frequently refer back to.

Will definitely be exploring backup solutions...but would also like to figure out the root cause.

ME

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones