Unwanted ICS syncing of Ringer and Notifications volume channels - is there a cure?General

Last Updated:

1. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Well-Known Member

I really don't like having a loud Notification noise go off every time I get spam coming in, including Verizon spam, so I have for the past year had the Notifications volume low while my Ringer was still good and loud (you actually can do this in earlier Android versions). Now ICS ties the volume for the Ringer and Notifications channels together, and I can find no fix for this in the system menus. Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks if you can help!

Advertisement
  2. canrunin

canrunin Well-Known Member

what about a volume app. one may have that option.
  3. Brent372

Brent372 Well-Known Member

Change your notification tone to silent
  4. NotDeadYet

Well, that may be what I need - so who has one that does the trick?

I had to start over this week with a new phone, so paid Volume Control is up-to-date. It doesn't look like any devs were expecting this from ICS.
  5. NotDeadYet

As stated, ICS ties that Notification channel to my Ringer for the volume, and I do not always want the Ringer silent or too quiet that I'll hear it when I don't want to be bothered by Notifications at all! I don't usually text a lot, and more of the spam (including Verizon's) triggers the Notifications alert. When people need to reach me, and it's important enough they'll call me!
  6. Brent372

Brent372 Well-Known Member

Perhaps you misunderstood what I meant. Go find silent.mp3 on the internet and set that "sound" as your notification sound. Leave the volume at whatever you want.
  7. NotDeadYet

Yep, I misunderstood you alright, and I feel like a dope for not having thought of this myself - I could have recorded my own silent Notification tone. Thanks!

This workaround should do it for now, but it's hardly perfect, and you just have to wonder if this problem will be corrected any time soon. I suppose that depends on whether it's just a bug, or a bug which some Google exec decided to call a "feature" because he really is "evil"!