• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

unwanted playstore app popups

A

Android Question

Verizon
Samsung Galaxy 4S
Android Version: 4.3

A few days ago, I was on Snapchat and while I was trying to view a message, it was cut short and brought me to the internet - it was some kind of ad. I tapped the back button on the bottom of the phone (where the home button is) until I was at my home screen. At first I thought it was a one time thing, or maybe a snapchat thing. However it started happening at other points, not only in snapchat (although that seems to be the most common time). In addition, it also sometimes brings me to a random app in the Playstore.

If it takes me to the internet, sometimes (but not always) I get a message saying "The page at imobi.urmobilegroup.com says: Android System Errors Detected! Press ok to start the scanning process...." Then I see my screen says "Android System Diagnostic: Your phone is compromised" and a scanning process below. After the scanning process says "scanning", it says "Warning: System is in danger!" and then "Your phone is at HIGH RISK". Lastly, a message comes up saying "The page at imobi.urmobile.com says: Attention: (7) Suspicious files found. If not deleted, this may lead to complete system failure. Install recovery app to repair system now!"

I've been through a few different antivirus scanners already and nothing has been found.

If anyone can help me figure out what to do to either stop these messages/popups/redirections to the internet or can tell me how to figure out which app(s) is/are causing the problem, it would be extremely appreciated. Thanks!

I am having the same problem. Started about 3-4 days ago and when I unlock my phone it opens adds or goes to google play to an app. Very frustrating because it takes several steps to gain my phone use back. Any ideas on how it got in or how to get it to go away would be appreciated. Have an s4....

Upvote 0
Same problem here too, on a Galaxy S3. I hope someone can provide a solution. I have tried several scanning programs for network access, virus, and so forth, and no problems are ever found. But I get the unwanted popups, the redirects to the play store, and the browser spoofs that try to make me think something is wrong with my phone.

Upvote 0
I started having this same problem after I put a new app from the Google Play Store on my SIII. It was not picked up by my antivirus software, either, I suppose because it was part of the app? Anyway, I uninstalled the app (which turned out to be a widget) and then went into my internet settings and cleared the browser cache, browser history and cookies. Then I rebooted the phone. No problems since.

Upvote 0
It was a useless/stupid app called Night Vision Spy Camera my daughter put on my phone (I hate it when she does that). The App has lot of downloads and no one mentioned this issue in the comments. But after I uninstalled it, cleared the caches and rebooted, the problem was solved. No more "Your phone is compromised" redirects when I unlocked and opened other apps.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, the issue has returned after clearing internet cache and restarting phone. Now it's opening up another website before going to a random app in playstore. Very annoying. I have a trouble ticket open with Samsung also. Hoping I can resolve this soon. Looks like a virus, which I've never had on an android phone before, and not even sure how I got it as I haven't downloaded any new apps in days. Any other suggestions? Thanks

Upvote 0
Called Samsung...they had me go to Task Manager and shut everything down, clear RAM (memory) from there, clear internet cache from within settings and application manager, and then uninstall any apps I wasn't using or had installed recently including a night vision app I don't even remember installing (but maybe was causing the problem). Shut down phone, pull out battery, and re-start. Several hours now and the problem hasn't happened again. Fingers crossed!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones