1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

unwanted websiteSupport

1. lifebiker

lifebiker New Member

Hi I am new to android as I was a Nokia 6300 user for years. I have had my HTC Wildfire S for a couple of months, I removed the content control 4 days ago and now I have a website (rude one which I didn't visit by the way) which I cannot get rid of it always appears when I use the back or forward arrows in the webpage settings menu. All other sites I visit disappear when I clear the history but this one will not go no matter what I do. I have cleared cache, cookies, history, bookmarks you name I have down it. My family use the phone on occasions so I want this gone, will I have to have the content control switched back on, can anyone help please.

Advertisement
    :
  2. sisu

sisu Well-Known Member

I am kind of new to Android so I might not have the best answers, but here are a few things I can think of that you can try, if you haven't already.

If this is the stock browser: Menu -settings - applications - manage applications - all - Internet.
    - Clear cache.
    - Clear Data.

If it is a downloaded browser, then Menu -settings - applications - manage applications - downloaded - your browser.
    - Clear cache.
    - Clear Data.
    - Uninstall.

In the same Downloads menu, remove all suspicious downloads (or better yet, all downloaded apps, if nothing else helps), following the same order:
    - Clear cache.
    - Clear Data.
    - Uninstall.

If you just uninstall without clearing data, the data will still be there at least on some apps, even if they are uninstalled

Download an antivirus app and run it. For example Antivirus Free by AVG
  3. sisu

sisu Well-Known Member

If nothing else helps, you can do Factory Data reset: settings - SD & Phone storage - Factory data reset. It will remove everything that has been added to the phone (including contacts etc...), and restore it to factory defaults (the way the pnone was when you got it originally). There is an option there to delete all data on the SD card if you want (you might have to, if the culprit is located on the SD card)