• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unwelcome NOTIFICATION ads!!!!

thumper300zx

Mar 3, 2010
Unwelcome NOTIFICATION ads!!!!

A couple days ago, I was looking up a song (hoping to find MP3) on my Droid, and it did some sort of POPUP and appears to have installed something on my phone. I could be wrong -- maybe it's some other app doing it, but I now get notification ads. I believe some have had a '*' and other have had a '+' symbol next to them.

I went through and uninstalled any apps I don't remember ever installing, and removed one other app I more recently installed. I'm still getting them -- about one or two a day.

I tried AIRPUSH DETECTOR (nothing indicated) and ADDONS Detector (several apps shown, but nothing installed recently). I guess it could be an update to an existing program.

I read one should try to find out the links they are sending you to -- I clicked on one, but am frightened to click on more as it may do what something else already did. The link it brought me to is topusarewards.com -- one of those typical BS sites telling you to enter to win an Ipad.

I have a rooted droid bionic.

Any help appreciated.​

With a rooted phone you could try 'AdFree Android', mentioned in this article ...
http://www.pcworld.com/article/245305/sneaky_mobile_ads_invade_android_phones.html

EDIT: But if you want to find the culprit app then you might try this method:
Hunt the culprit app on your own with the aid of the phone logging app 'aLogcat' (free in Market).
But be warned, you'll need some experience with logs or the will to learn it ;)

Wait until the annoying ad appears in you notification bar.
Start 'aLogcat' and then clear its log.
Then pull down the notification bar and tip on the icon of the annoying ad.
Return quickly to aLogcat (via long press on the HOME button).
Now you should see the culprit app and following it the AirPush identification in the log's rows.

Harry

Upvote 0
With a rooted phone you could try 'AdFree Android', mentioned in this article ...
Sneaky Mobile Ads Invade Android Phones | PCWorld

EDIT: But if you want to find the culprit app then you might try this method:
Hunt the culprit app on your own with the aid of the phone logging app 'aLogcat' (free in Market).
But be warned, you'll need some experience with logs or the will to learn it ;)

Wait until the annoying ad appears in you notification bar.
Start 'aLogcat' and then clear its log.
Then pull down the notification bar and tip on the icon of the annoying ad.
Return quickly to aLogcat (via long press on the HOME button).
Now you should see the culprit app and following it the AirPush identification in the log's rows.

Harry

That (last part) sounds like a solid solution. Better than the trial and error method :)

For now I'll try the first.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones