• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cthomas5

Lurker
Jun 27, 2011
I recently bought a Motorola Defy on 2.1 of a friend already rooted but i want to update to 2.2 Froyo however when i try to update from the phone it never finds the update and when i went to the motorola website to download the updates, it said it checks the warrenty of the product so im very hesitant to try and upgrade from there, as im guessing rooting it voids the warrenty.

Is there a way to upgrade to 2.2 without unrooting my phone

p.s (this is my first ever android phone so i dont have alot of knowledge about them)

Thanks

Where in the world are you and what network are you on?

Motorola are currently rolling out 2.2 worldwide. For example, T-Mobile in the US had the update a month or two back, but those on T-Mobile in the UK will not get it till next month.

When it is available in your region, you should get a message sent direct to your phone.
You can also check yourself >Menu > Settings >About Phone> System Updates

There is a Motorola support forum that lists when the changes are happening. As you only have 2.1 I'm guessing you are not in the US, so the correct link is...

https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/409962#409962

You can also download updates from the support area on the Motorola website.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones