Upcoming Android tablets w/ capacitive screens?

Last Updated:

1. irishpride

irishpride Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Tablets are "the" thing to have right now, only problem is there really aren't any good ones out and ones that do look good(Galaxy Tab, Archos Gen8 & Notion Ink) have no release date.

I'm starting to get impatient and would like to have some input from you guys. So I wanted to get a thread together so we could try and keep track of some quality tabs coming that have AT LEAST these minimum specs...7" screen, 256mb RAM, 720mhz-1ghz processor and are either out or have a solid release date within the next month. Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. johnnewhouse

johnnewhouse Well-Known Member

its a good idea, but a lot of the specs are not clear at the moment, even for tablets that are claiming to be on sale in stores in the next 4 weeks.

today in the UK, PC World have announced that they will have 2 tablets available for sale on the 1st Nov and for what seems like competitive prices.

PC World to launch tablet computer - 06 Oct 2010 - Computeractive

but they don't delve too deeply into the specs. i would be interested in the larger of the two, advent vega, but all they are saying about it is the following;

Price

irishpride likes this.
  3. irishpride

It actually looks pretty good, just going by the specs. Depending on whether or not this is released in the US at the same time, this could be a winner. I do like the Galaxy Tab, I have the Fascinate(Verizon's Galaxy S) and love it. I would consider getting it if Verizon offers it free with a data plan, but nobody knows when it will be released in the US. I just wish a quality tablet would come out at a decent price, I don't think that's asking too much.

4. jtbnet

jtbnet Well-Known Member

This looks like the Malata tablet FlatComputing is now selling?

https://www.flatcomputing.com/products/details/3/FlatPad-A10T-NEW

irishpride likes this.
  5. fandtm666

fandtm666 Active Member

i do like the fact the flatpad has 1gig ddr memory as well as the newer cpu

6. irishpride

The flatpad does look like it has some potential, the site says they are taking pre-order's, so I will definitely be watching out for the reviews on it when they are actually selling it.

7. KUDOS 555

KUDOS 555 Well-Known Member

8. johnnewhouse

johnnewhouse Well-Known Member

this is the problem with all of these tablets that are about to become available, i have no idea what hardware is better.

i think that the tegra 2 will be a very good option, but that's just based on feelings from stuff i have read about that chip, very little specific around tablets.

as well as a good processor and hdmi out, i am also very interested in the responsiveness of the screen. that's probably the thing i am most worried about as they are definitely not all created equal, and i think a bad screen will kill any tablets usability.

9. irishpride

A quality screen is right up at the top, along with processor and the manufacturing companies willingness to update in what I'm looking for in a tablet. I just hope something comes out soon because I really am getting impatient.

10. fandtm666

fandtm666 Active Member

im interested in the flatpad A10T and the archos 101

But

1: the A10T has 1 gig memory yet i can not find out what the 101 has

2: the 101 has a webcam yet the A10T does not

3: the A10T has the Dual Core ARM Cortex A9 and the 101 has the [FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]ARM Cortex A8[/FONT][/FONT]

11. AndroidTabletFan

AndroidTabletFan Well-Known Member

You know I've been thinking about this a little bit.

My ideal tab would have good onboard speakers so I don't have to reach for earphones all the time, and have good quality video playback. I'm also thinking I would like a 7 inch unit vs a 10 inch unit. The 10 inch size is just too big for me, and the 5 is a little small.

But honestly, if the screen is responsive than it doesn't matter much to me if it's resistive or capacitive or has multi touch or not.

12. jtbnet

jtbnet Well-Known Member

My Current list of good tablets for the money... First is Responsive Resistive screen and available for shipping today... others Capacative screens and are pre-order with supposed Oct. Shipments;

<$200 ZT-180 Arm11 wGC600/FC-A10

Flat Computing, LLC - FlatPad A10

<$300 Cortex A8/Archos 101

Archos 501590 101 Internet Tablet - 10.1 Screen, 1024 x 600, Built-in Speakers, 8GB, Android User Interface, .5 Thick, WiFi, PRE ORDER - Due in 11/1 at TigerDirect.com

<$400 Cortex A9-Tegra2/FC-A10T

https://www.flatcomputing.com/products/details/3/FlatPad-A10T-NEW

I currently own 2 of the ZT-180, have 1 of the Archos 101 on pre-order, and will likely order 1 of the Tegra2 in near future... Plus still have 2 original Moto Droid's overclocked to 1.2Ghz and running 2.2, so it's really nice to see the reasonable priced choices expanding...