• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upcoming Phones that may sway you

This confused me. :thinking:

Really...you're still confused even after my explanation above?! :thinking:

Right now it would be pretty foolish to "upgrade" to a new phone as the note 2 is still among the most capable.android devices around. However, from the standpoint of someone looking for a new phkne who is currently on something worse a note 2 would not be my recommendation. I'd recommend the htc one or the s4 or tell them to wait and see what google can churn out for its nexus lineup. For people on a budget i'd probably suggest a galaxy s3 (they wouldnt feel much difference between it and a s4) or a nexus 4 which can be picked up for 20$

Foolish? Dude, did you even read my reasonings above?! :rolleyes: Does anyone even bother to read posts anymore before posting? :(

If you're on Sprint Network, you're right, NONE OF THE CURRENT phone (S4 or HTC ONE) is worth it, including Note 2 because of LTE expansion noted above. Nexus 4 LTE or 5 will be interesting for sure...but as a Sprint customer, this all depends if Nexus phones will support tri-band LTE on Sprint.

Upvote 0
My priorities are radios with excellent range, especially wifi, a screen that's readable for long sessions, and excellent battery endurance. The Note 2 delivers on those. I'm surprised and delighted to be handwriting again after a 20 year layoff. What other phone does all that?

You're right...the Note 2 does all of that! Therefore, my next phone must meet what you wrote in the first sentence. Note 2 radios are fabulous!!

As for handwriting and S-Pen, i can live without it. I love Swype...that is all i need. I tried to use S-Pen with some consistency, but i still find it as a novel idea rather than a useful one for me. I can skip it on the next phone.

Upvote 0
Now, before anyone ask what the big deal is, if you know Sprint, then you know that Sprint LTE currently is not all that great. Signal is weak outside away from buildings, at best. Inside building LTE is non-existent. Speeds are equivalent to HSPA+, at best.

And to add to insult, Sprint 3G is darn slow! I can look up an encyclopedia much faster!

So, yeah, this upcoming Sprint LTE tri-band is freaking HUGE for Sprint customers! We will finally be on par with other LTE carriers in both coverage and speeds. And having a phone to take advantage of this is very important since 3G speeds are so pathetic. (For example, ATT customers can get away with not having LTE because of HSPA+ and coverage.)

And before anyone ask, i love Sprint...been with them for over 12 years consecutively. Why? Their cell reception where i work (and home) is fabulous, best of the top carriers. Work is important to me. :)

Upvote 0
Really...you're still confused even after my explanation above?! :thinking:

Ummmm.....yes.
What I quoted was for DrEx; hence the quote.
Asking if you paid full retail because of a month makes no sense to me.
Not everyone has the same eligibility month whether we're getting a phone at full price or subsidized.

Also, not everyone gets a new phone the moment they are eligible which is another factor that can change ones eligibility date...again, nothing to due with full price.

Upvote 0
Ummmm.....yes.
Not everyone has the same eligibility month whether we're getting a phone at full price or subsidized.

Also, not everyone gets a new phone the moment they are eligible which is another factor that can change ones eligibility date...again, nothing to due with full price.

Did you read my response above?? Ok...let me break it down for you.

September 2012: Got iPhone 5 64GB from my other line in the account. I have a family plan with Sprint...4 lines in total. My own main line was NOT used to get iPhone 5. My own main line is due for upgrade in July 2013.

March 2013: Sprint agrees to give me another phone on my main line since iPhone 5 problem could not be resolved b/w Apple and Sprint. Requirement on my end was that Sprint not touch my upgrade period (in July 2013).

March 2013: I returned iPhone 5 to Sprint and got Note 2...basically, i got Note 2 for free. (In actuality, Sprint actually owed me $100 because iPhone 5 64 GB costs $100 more than Note 2 on contract...so, i bought a TPU case at Sprint store on Sprint's credit to make up for it...i did not mind losing a few bucks since Sprint was playing fair.) I then proceeded to use Note 2 extensively as my work and personal phone.

So, yes, i am due for an upgrade on my main line in July 2013. Therefore, i am looking for ALTERNATIVES to Note 2. And since my Note 2 is now partly damaged (by me) and since Sprint LTE is being upgraded, why not get the latest Android that will have LTE tri-band compatibity with Sprint network?! My Note 2 will become my son's portable game station. :)

Does that make more sense? I hope that you guys are not implying that i am a troll or something. Geez. Do you want me to take a pic of my phone with a date stamp on it? :D

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
Ummmm.....yes.

Note 2 was released in October. If it was purchased on upgrade, how can someone be eligible in July?

Reactions: ScandaLeX
Upvote 0
Did you read my response above?? Ok...let me break it down for you.

September 2012: Got iPhone 5 64GB from my other line in the account. I have a family plan with Sprint...4 lines in total. My own main line was NOT used to get iPhone 5. My own main line is due for upgrade in July 2013.

March 2013: Sprint agrees to give me another phone on my main line since iPhone 5 problem could not be resolved b/w Apple and Sprint. Requirement on my end was that Sprint not touch my upgrade period (in July 2013).

March 2013: I returned iPhone 5 to Sprint and got Note 2...basically, i got Note 2 for free. (In actuality, Sprint actually owed me $100 because iPhone 5 64 GB costs $100 more than Note 2 on contract...so, i bought a TPU case at Sprint store on Sprint's credit to make up for it...i did not mind losing a few bucks since Sprint was playing fair.) I then proceeded to use Note 2 extensively as my work and personal phone.

So, yes, i am due for an upgrade on my main line in July 2013. Therefore, i am looking for ALTERNATIVES to Note 2. And since my Note 2 is now partly damaged (by me) and since Sprint LTE is being upgraded, why not get the latest Android that will have LTE tri-band compatibity with Sprint network?! My Note 2 will become my son's portable game station. :)

Does that make more sense? I hope that you guys are not implying that i am a troll or something. Geez. Do you want me to take a pic of my phone with a date stamp on it? :D

Dude, I think you need a chill pill or a timeout. I was just asking how. Nothing more nothing less, cuz Sprint already got rid of gold premiere upgrades for every year, and didn't equate your having upgraded thorough different account.

I don't understand why my post was either confusing or insulting. I was just curious because I'd love to be able to upgrade within a year still...lol.

Upvote 0
Dude, I think you need a chill pill or a timeout. I was just asking how. Nothing more nothing less, cuz Sprint already got rid of gold premiere upgrades for every year, and didn't equate your having upgraded thorough different account.

I don't understand why my post was either confusing or insulting. I was just curious because I'd love to be able to upgrade within a year still...lol.

Sorry... just got paranoid after people repeatedly asking the same question. I was replying more to Scand, not you.

Upvote 0
Does Galaxy S4 Google Edition change anyone's mind? This is probably USA version (S600 chip) with pure Android...no Touchwiz. This is great because this means that GS4 GE will not suffer from lagging and stuttering that affects USA GS4 Touchwiz version.

Other specs: 16GB with microSD, removable battery, 13MP camera, 5" 1080 screen. Straight from Google for software updates. It is a Nexus phone.

At this time, this phone is not available for CDMA users. :(

Upvote 0
I have no interest in any Motorola phones anymore. They went downhill about 3 years ago and their software is so unreliable I just can't trust them.

But in reality, if you buy a high-end phone right when it comes out, usually right around your upgrade time is when you start seeking interest in more power. The Note 2 is plenty strong in the current market and will be for at least another year. By strong, I mean useable and still good spec-wise.

Upvote 0
Does Galaxy S4 Google Edition change anyone's mind? This is probably USA version (S600 chip) with pure Android...no Touchwiz. This is great because this means that GS4 GE will not suffer from lagging and stuttering that affects USA GS4 Touchwiz version.

Other specs: 16GB with microSD, removable battery, 13MP camera, 5" 1080 screen. Straight from Google for software updates. It is a Nexus phone.
No way. Going pure Nexus removes all the Samsung features. Then you have to pay 650 for it - full retail of the GS4.

The TW lag problem was already fixed on an update. There's no compelling reason to get the GE. Root the GS4 (and throw on a new launcher if you wish) and you're all set.

Upvote 0
Galaxy Note 4 (I'm not eligible for upgrade until 11/14 :(). Seriously, I think I'm addicted to this phone now. Screen size alone pretty much dissuades me from any other phone out there. Every thing in comparison looks like a childs toy side by side to the Note 2. Was a previous iPhone die hard but now I'm a Galaxy Note die hard. Seeing what they did with the S4, kinda curious to see what they do with the future generations of the Note.

Upvote 0

At this time, this phone is not available for CDMA users. :(

I'm entertaining the thought of replacing my Note 2 and Nexus 4 with this. I wonder if it'll support USB audio though since they're removing all Samsung software from it.

Upvote 0
You either have not messed with one or something. The S4 is a great phone, I almost got it, but decided against it. I am liking the N2 since I do a lot of work from my phone. But a co worker has the S4 and it is a great phone.

Yeah, S4 is a great phone despite what some online reviewers are saying. I got a chance to tinker around with one and was pleasantly surprised with it. Definitely better than an iPhone 5 IMO. BUT, not quite a Note 2 :D

Upvote 0
Yeah, S4 is a great phone despite what some online reviewers are saying. I got a chance to tinker around with one and was pleasantly surprised with it. Definitely better than an iPhone 5 IMO. BUT, not quite a Note 2 :D

I love the note 2, since I am constantly having to write stuff down while on a conference call or in a meeting, or whenever really. It allows me to, I can mess with my stocks easily, and it has made me a little more organized than before and I am an organization freak haha

Plus with my ROM and setup I have going my battery lasts forever.

For the S4 I honestly would say it is just a mini Note2 without the pen, it works great and if someone does not want this huge screen it is the perfect phone. I honestly never listen to reviewers online, they all seem to have sticks up their rears when it comes to practicality, and to add everyone has different needs from a phone, much like a computer. Most people are only doing basic things and there is no reason to spend tons of money on something unless they want to look cool (Queue Apple products) A lot of my friends have laughed at my phone till I show them all the features, now my buddy who owns his own business is getting one next month when he renews his contract haha. Only time I hate the size is if I take it to the gym instead of my MP3 player.

Upvote 0
For the S4 I honestly would say it is just a mini Note2 without the pen, it works great and if someone does not want this huge screen it is the perfect phone. I honestly never listen to reviewers online, they all seem to have sticks up their rears when it comes to practicality, and to add everyone has different needs from a phone, much like a computer. Most people are only doing basic things and there is no reason to spend tons of money on something unless they want to look cool (Queue Apple products) A lot of my friends have laughed at my phone till I show them all the features, now my buddy who owns his own business is getting one next month when he renews his contract haha. Only time I hate the size is if I take it to the gym instead of my MP3 player.

IMHO, if you're good at typing and have taken the time (short time!) to learn SWYPE, then the pen is useless...unless you're into drawing happy faces on emails. :D I can swype much much faster than writing with the pen. And SWYPE recognizes words a lot better than the pen program (reading your handwritting). The pen is a novelty item...and is really only useful for tapping those small button when web browsing...but that can easily be overcome with enlarging or tapping on the area (in Chrome).

As for Apple products, i can tell you that we have an iPhone 5 not because it is cool or a status symbol, but because it is damn reliable, never crashes, simple to use (thus, great for wife), and logically designed (both software and hardware). I hate it when people who uses Apple as an example of lemmings or cool factor or status symbol, esp. when they have not even owned an iPhone. iPhone 5 costs less than Note 2! No, people buy it because it works as advertised, tons of quality apps, and iTunes. iTunes is pretty damn amazing...something that Google (Play Store) and Samsung (Kies) are not even close in competing! This is why i still use iTunes for music selection.

I just hope that Google gets off its butt and put some more effort (quality!) into Play Store instead of just inviting more and more useless developers making useless low quality apps! I have apps that crash constantly on Android, but works great on iOS. Encourage the developers to optimize Android apps instead of just porting it over!

Invest money in the Movies because PLay Store movies suck in quality, even their "HD"! It sucks so much that i may be force to stick with Samsung because their Media Hub movie quality is far superior to Play Store! (Unfortunately, Media Hub selection sucks.)

Sorry for rant.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones