• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Update Available From Sprint

Oh well, back to 100% wake for me. I did a hard reset after installing the update, and everything was normal (slept and everything). Checked this morning and it was at 66% (which was high, consideirng I hadn't used it overnight). Rebooted it, and now its at 100%. Using spare parts, its "android system" keeping it at 100% (which was one of the things keeping it @ 100% prior to the upgrade).

Upvote 0
I have a feeling people are not unplugging the phone and observing 100% uptime, not realizing it doesn't sleep the same way when it's plugged in and 100% is expected.

Mine doesn't work like that. I plugged my phone in at night with 28% uptime and took it off the charger the next morning with 11% uptime. Mine isn't staying awake on the charger.

Upvote 0
...and replaced it with one that seems twice as fast. I can't believe how much faster the browser loads... And the icon problem is definitely fixed, so I can run Google Skymap again!

Everything else is much faster and snappier. Thanks to HTC for getting to this so soon.

BTW, for those who haven't upgraded yet, when you do upgrade, the phone will reboot and sit there for about 5 minutes with only "HTC" showing on the screen and get really really hot - but don't Panic! For a few minutes there, I was wondering if I had bricked my phone. But all is well.

I also got back 8MB of RAM :D

On the downside, when you first boot the phone, it takes a very long time for the widgets to update; they do eventually, but it takes longer than before. Also, battery life looks to be shorter than before, though I will wait a few days to be sure.

Upvote 0
Here is the information I recieved about the new SW update.

Case Title: HTC Hero Software Enhancement to 1.56.651.2
Solution Title: Complete the steps below to update HTC HeroTM

Details: A software update is available for the HTC Hero on 11/18/09.

Actions:
Current devices should be on: 1.29.651.1

The customer's device will recognize that it needs the latest SW and will ask the customer to allow the installation and download. The customer can also initiate the update from the Settings, About Phone, System updates, Firmware update.

Feature Updates and Enhancements

HTC Hero Software Enhancement SW 1.56.651.2 provides feature updates and enhancements to address the following:

Upvote 0
Howdy All -- well, a few things popped out right away -- have not had any time to play with all the feature enhancements....

1. Camera how works much better -- close focus (like macro) and light sensitivity are both much better.

2. Shut down time is about one third what it was originally. That is for a FULL phone shut down, not standby.

3. Have not tried any SMS messaging. I guess some have --- how did that go ? Any heavy texters out there that can comment???

Will post any discoveries that have not been documented already.
Please post any list that Sprint/HTC may publish about what they actually patched in this MR.

Thanks All --- :D:):D

Upvote 0
ok so I rooted my phone, deleted some sprint apps like nfl mobile stock app and nascar. However I did not create a backup. So i downloaded and tried installing the update. It got stuck on hero screen so i had to pull out the battery to resart the phone. So obviously the update did not happen and I no longer see it in firmware updates. I do not see any of the changes that some of you are seeing. Also my phone is now 100% all the time even with handcent.

Just wondering what my options are. Is there a way to do the update without a factory reset? Also if someone has easy directions to do this that would be great.

Thanks

Upvote 0
ok so I rooted my phone, deleted some sprint apps like nfl mobile stock app and nascar. However I did not create a backup. So i downloaded and tried installing the update. It got stuck on hero screen so i had to pull out the battery to resart the phone. So obviously the update did not happen and I no longer see it in firmware updates. I do not see any of the changes that some of you are seeing. Also my phone is now 100% all the time even with handcent.

Just wondering what my options are. Is there a way to do the update without a factory reset? Also if someone has easy directions to do this that would be great.

Thanks

Well, logically speaking, you have to have something to update. If the original ROM is removed, then I think you will have to get the Hero back to factory stock first -- then update. Then I believe you can apply your "ROOT" patch. I have not been through this process and it will probably be some time since I will be waiting for a "clean" root image. It will be some time I would guess. Also we know more updates are coming (e.g. Android 2.0) so until that happens I am gonna be patient and live with the MR as it is. Anyway, I digress. Check with some others who have been through the process you need to go through to get your Hero back to ground zero ---

Good Luck --- ;)

Upvote 0
All things as advertised... Working well.

Some icons still had jumbled names, but just deleted them and replaced them and all is good. Only thing I have noticed is the Yahoo Mail via WiFi Glitch... WiFi still knocks out the POP Mail retrieval, small issue cause you can just turn off WiFi and get it then. I haven't had this with anything buy Yahoo, everything else works well so far.

Battery was fine before and even better now. Keeping fingers crossed all will stay that way too :eek: I will put it trough the ringer (no pun) today to see for sure.

Regards
:)

Upvote 0
Oh well, back to 100% wake for me. I did a hard reset after installing the update, and everything was normal (slept and everything). Checked this morning and it was at 66% (which was high, consideirng I hadn't used it overnight). Rebooted it, and now its at 100%. Using spare parts, its "android system" keeping it at 100% (which was one of the things keeping it @ 100% prior to the upgrade).

Did you happen to install any additional programs? Mine is also back to 100% sitting overnight. I am going to do another hard reset and install things one at a time to see if its an app or android.

Upvote 0
Thats terrible minds worked fine. Will anybody be using the stock sms app again or sticking with Chomp or Handcent?

Handcent was opening sooo slowly, I removed and went back to stock and all is great. Opens much more quickly. Less settings options, but more efficient.

Did you happen to install any additional programs? Mine is also back to 100% sitting overnight. I am going to do another hard reset and install things one at a time to see if its an app or android.

I was using Meebo for an IM client. Loved the app, but when I uninstalled, the awake time took a serious nose dive...down to 16%!

So far, I am thrilled with the update. Not too thrilled about the vibrating dialer non-option though. Oh well, so is life

Upvote 0
FIX AFTER UPDATE: (Sorry if this was mentioned here already)

Before the update when I hit "snooze" on the lock screen, using the stock Alarm you get to by clicking on the HTC clock widget, The phone would wait the perscribed snooze time then show the Alarm graphic again yet would not play a sound. Basicly the snooze button would turn off the alarm.

After the Update the Alarm Sound now goes off again after I hit snooze. So the Update fixed my Alarm Snooze button.

Upvote 0
I have a feeling people are not unplugging the phone and observing 100% uptime, not realizing it doesn't sleep the same way when it's plugged in and 100% is expected.

Well I can only speak for myself, but I am taking that into consideration when seeing 100% awake time. I can turn my phone off, fully charge it, unplug it, turn it back on and let it sit for 2 hours, and it will still say 100% awake time. I may need to do a factory reset, but before I do that I have a question. Has anyone gotten a noticeable improvement in battery life since the update? I'm making it through the workday on a charge, so if the improvement isn't noticeable, I won't bother resetting my phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones