Update Bootloader Version for Non-OTA users?Support

Last Updated:

1. ES_23

ES_23 Member This Topic's Starter

Hello all,

I received my warranty Droid X today and noticed that the bootloader versions between my original and replacement are different. The replacement came with Froyo 2.3.15 preinstalled. Everything else such as the kernel, baseband, etc. are all the same as my original....except for the bootloader.

The newer replacement is running bootloader version 30.03
    The older original is running bootloader version 30.01

To provide more info, I rooted, updated to the 2.3.9 leak, and skipped the OTA altogether after the 2.2 SBF came out. In other words SBF'd directly to 2.2 which left the 30.01 bootloader intact.

Is there anything I can do to get it on 30.03? It would be very much appreciated. :(

Advertisement
  2. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

The question is... why do you need to be on the new bootloader?

You've got the new kernel, you've got the new radio... the new bootloader doesn't have anything new (except a new encryption signature). So what's the motivation?

I know it's not what you were looking for, just thought I'd make sure you knew you weren't missing out.

If you want to, you can downgrade with the 2.1 SBF (since you have the old bootloader), then do the OTA.

edit: nevermind, I see why you want to upgrade. You can try the 2.1 SBF, then do the OTA upgrade. Worst case, you just have to flash the 2.2 SBF if it won't boot afterwards.

3. ES_23

Thanks for your reply...Yeah, I have both the 2.1 and 2.2 full SBF files (both are 400+ MB in size), along with patched RSD 4.7 and 4.8. I can SBF back to 2.2 with no problems, however I get a code corrupt error when trying to go back to 2.1. My original plan was to go 2.1 and get the OTA that way.

My motivation is, I just want to send Verizon back my original phone in the exact condition that the new replacement is in for warranty purposes. (I have a speaker issue in case you were wondering why I'm sending it in). I just don't want them hitting me with the full retail cost if everything doesn't match up...

Also, would you happen to know the bootloader version for the .604 Eclair 2.1 update? If it's 30.01 then I'll just tell Verizon my "2.2 update" (even though I really SBF'd) had an error during installation and go with that.

However, I've done some research and found that there are more bootloader versions that include 30.03, 30.01, 29.01, etc. So what goes with what?

Once again, thanks for your help

4. sund0wn

sund0wn Well-Known Member

dont worry man, not only will they not check that, but even if they did, they wont charge you.
    i work for verizon, in a regional management position, and i know you have nothing to worry about. i understand your concern, but once a replacement has been sent, all they care is that they get the device back. i promise.
    heck, i know a guy that got a replacement x, and sent back a D1 and didnt get charged.
    if you cant sbf back to 2.1 to do the OTA, i dont believe there is another way to update the bootloader. but trust me, they dont have the time to check thru software, and contact the owners to inquire as to why the bootloader isnt the right version. plus, it is up to verizon to make sure the warranty isnt voided before they replace a device. once the replacement is sent, they have no recourse against the customer, unless the device isnt sent back (which the customer has agreed to do).

**DISCLAIMER: DO NOT send back any phone other than the model that was supposed to be replaced. I am not responsible for anyone who sends back a D1 instead of an x, and gets charged $569.

Fate0n3 likes this.
  5. ES_23

^^^ Ok thanks man, I didn't think you could update it anyway...for sure. Thanks for the response. Ill just SBFto 2.2 then and call it a day.

6. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

Make sure you wipe user data + cache. So many people think the SBF does that, but it doesn't.

Just would rather not have my personal information sent to VZW, and I'm guessing you don't either.