Update Dilemma on Rooted Stock ROM w/s-off

Last Updated:

1. Jonezilla

Jonezilla Active Member This Topic's Starter

My dilemma is that, as stated, I have a rooted Stock ROM, w/s-off and I can't decide if it's worth the trouble to apply the new OTA upgrade or to just disable the upgrade notification.

My biggest concern is that, although I am on the Stock ROM, I apparently made the mistake up deleting some bloatware by why of Titanium Backup, and from what I have gather by researching the forums, I need to replace those apps in order to correctly apply the OTA.

The only benefit I can see that I would get from the Update, is the Visual Voice Mail fix. That's about it.

So, for those that have been in this similar dilemma, what suggestions might you have? Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. msuguy71

msuguy71 Member

I tried to update my stock rooted DInc with the Nov OTA and ended up having nothing but problems. Lots of screwed up features and force closes. Finally had enough and applied the RUU that contained the new update (extracted the ROM.zip file and updated through HBOOT). No more force closes and all the features seem to work again. Still have S-Off but lost root until xda updates unrevoked. Have not really noticed a huge difference yet since the upgrade to determine whether it was worth the hassle though.

3. Medion

Medion Well-Known Member

Would the new RUU handle your issue related to removed bloatware?

4. Jonezilla

I don't remember, does running RUU, wipe the phone?

I'd rather not go through the hassle if the update isn't worth it? I don't know.

5. ctc

ctc Well-Known Member

I was in your shoes about 10 days ago. I decided to do the RUU which does wipe your phone. Using appbrian to reinstall apps took about 1.5 hours (about 80 apps) and then another hour or so to reconfig everything the way I like it.

I then "rerooted" with Z4root which worked since I have s-off.

The big pluses for me are much improved battery management and charge times are back to normal. When my phone is "asleep" it barely uses any battery.

6. Jonezilla

Interesting. I honestly don't care about charge times since I have three batteries and an external charger. Better battery management sounds appealing, but I don't know much (anything) about Z4root, and spending half a day reconfiguring my stuff does not sound appealing. Really the only thing I use root for Titanium Backup (rarely) and Wifi Tether (again, rarely).

Man, shouldn't all of this be so much easier?

Thanks for all the feedback so far!