Update FailedSupport

Last Updated:

1. Sheon

Sheon Member This Topic's Starter

tired to update my phone and it says update failed then i reset my time and data and checked again now it says no updates firmware seems to be jh7 i was rooted but i unrooted with a 1 click thing

is there anyway to force the update like a file with the new firmware with odin that i can download?

anyone else having update failed messages? but still seem jh7 firmware but gps still sucks?

Advertisement
  2. alme1304

alme1304 Member

Same thing happend to me, I thought it might have been the one click lag fix

3. RingMe

RingMe Active Member

I did not have a problem.

1. Downloads update to phone.
    2. Automatically reboots.
    3. Update installs, includes a status bar.
    4. Automatically reboots again. Note: Startup takes longer than usual.
    5. "Congratulations" is on the screen notifying you of a successful update.

4. skinien

skinien Well-Known Member

I had OCLF. Update failed after downloading.

Removed Lag fix and un-rooted. Update still failed (noticed it failed at 50%).

Any users who used RyanZA's OCLF successfully update? If so, did you leave the lag-fix/root or did you reverse the changes?

5. pinbak

pinbak Well-Known Member

Mine keeps going to 34% then stalls a bit then goes to 50% and then fails.

6. JerseyScottie

JerseyScottie Member

bump for 50% issue

7. nyydynasty

nyydynasty Well-Known Member

i have the same issue. i was rooted but I unrooted via odin one-click (which did a complete reset of the phone)...still fails during install.\

wtf

8. mui

mui Member

I've seen similar problems in other forums. Apparently, the 1-click odin restore is not a real stock restore. So, for those that are thinking about it, don't use that for now.

9. JerseyScottie

JerseyScottie Member

ok so i just did a master clear on my phone and still the update fails..what gives

10. malibu_rapper

malibu_rapper Well-Known Member

Mine said the update was not completed. So I went back into settings and software update and now I have to wait another 24 hours.

My phone is just rooted, I don't have OCLF or anything else.

11. pinbak

pinbak Well-Known Member

i did use the odin stock restore a month ago, wonder if other people failing have used this before, maybe that is it!!! but what would be the fix? :(

12. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

In the same way the lagfix "uninstalls" aren't really uninstalls, it does not surprise me that the Odin restore doesn't actually return the phone to the way it was at stock.

One unknown stranger says something on a forum, 100 people repeat it, and suddenly it becomes assumed truth. Meanwhile no one ever actually tried putting it to a real test. Well, this is the first test... and now the people who ignored the warnings are learning a painful lesson.

These OTA updates involve checks that look for numerous things to be in an expected way. Things that aren't supposed to change. When you start rooting, lag fixing, and otherwise dicking around with stuff that shouldn't be changed, you forfeit any OTA update cleanly applying in the future.

This is one of the reasons I'm strongly against the constant repeated suggestions of rooting, lagfixing, overclocking, etc to every unsuspecting newbie who enters the forum. These suggestions never come with a disclaimer of the risks.

13. irungood

irungood Member

Just updated my phone while it was still rooted + ryans oclf. i simply went to settings and clicked on "Check for software updates" and it did the rest. Some noticeable differences is my phone is much more smoother and the gps is a lot more accurate than before

14. topshelf95

topshelf95 Well-Known Member

You don't even know that any of things are the reason the update is failing. You are just one unknown stranger saying something in a forum. ;)

15. berdo

berdo Member

I am having the same getting to 50% and then failing issue and I called AT&T who then told me to call Samsung, who then told me to call AT&T (after trying to tell me that this update was to froyo....), who then told me to call samsung, who then hung up on me, then called at&t and they are calling samsung for me on my behalf because I am tired of dealing with samsung's horrible support.

I am sure I am going to get flamed for this, but for as much as I HATE apple and the iphone never had this kind of issue updating the phone. Even if it were jailbroken...

If I get anything of use I will update the forum.

16. berdo

berdo Member

Well take this for what it is, AT&T called me back and said that the 50% issue is a known bug with the firmware update that Samsung is aware of and is working on. They told me to wait a few days and try again. Personally, not buying it but I guess we will see.

17. Miss Roxy

Miss Roxy Well-Known Member

So anyone else having the "No Firmware" issue? I tried to update twice and it failed both times ( first time the update goes to 100%, yet it says it failed. second time it stays at 0%, then phone rebooted and said the update failed ), and now I can't even get into the "Software Update" option. And now whenever i restart the phone it always says "Did not update".

I think my phone is kinda screwed up. It says "JH7" in the "About Phone" part but it seems incomplete... no quickoffice.

18. DroidThunder

DroidThunder Well-Known Member

Tried to update mine about 45 mins ago received mesg that it failed try again in 24 hrs

19. socalrailroader

socalrailroader Well-Known Member

It worked fine for me, and my GPS is much improved, sorry for those having issues :(

20. Sheon

Sheon Member This Topic's Starter

same exace thing happend to me i also dont have quickoffice

21. tman42

tman42 Member

same exact thing here also except I already had quickoffice, and now I can't set my date manually into october as the phone keeps changing it back (no check mark in auto)

22. berdo

berdo Member

I am in the same boat as the few who get to 50% and then get "Update is Failed" - wonderful engrish btw. Anyway, I did some looking over at XDA and found this forum:

I897UCJH7 - OTA System, Kernel, Modem - Clockwork Flashable - Rooted - xda-developers

If you download the zip file and install it using ROM Manager (can get from the app store) it works like a charm. Quickoffice was installed and while using the wireless network locks on to maps much faster I am still not able to make a lock with aGPS. I am in my office at the moment so that could have something to do with it. Anyway, this may help to all of you who had the same issue I did.

kegobeer likes this.
  23. davevvv

davevvv New Member

On a rooted captivate I had the same problem - loaded update and it failed. Did a master reset and it still failed. I was finally able to get the update to take after I restored the firmware with a backup that I did with ROM Manager prior to removing ATT bloat software. After I did the restore, I did a master reset and then ran the update and it worked! The phone was still rooted during the successful update.

So in a nutshell, I believe what failed the update (originally) was the removal of the default ATT and Samsung apps. After I restored those Apps and did a reset the update worked.

24. George0211

George0211 Well-Known Member

I have the same problem, fails at 50%.
    I think the issue might be that Odin restore doesn't restore it to true stock, like someone already mentioned.
    I never removed ATT bloatware and i have the same issue. I've only installed leaked ROMs, like JH2, JH3 and JH7.

25. Nimgee

Nimgee Member