Update for unlocked MT3G

Last Updated:

1. trishl93612

trishl93612 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone,
    I've only been on this site a few times (still a bit confused about the meaning of some terms such as froyo, ROM, ) and am trying to find out if I should update my system or not. I just received the 2 part sys update notification today. I'm concerned that if i update the phone might lock me out or i'll lose my contacts, apps or other info.

Phone info:
    T-mobile MyTouch 3G Unlocked not rooted
    ATT phone service without data plan hooked up to home network
    Firmware version 1.6 installed currently

Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated!! :confused:
    TIA

Advertisement
  2. Raven198

Raven198 Well-Known Member

You shouldn't loose anything. All it is going to do is update your firmware from 1.6 to 2.2. Froyo is the name of the 2.2 firmware. ROMS are what we who have rooted phones use instead of the 1.6 (donut), 2.1 (eclair), and 2.2 (froyo) firmwares. If you don't plan on rooting your phone and using custom ROMS, then you should be fine going with the update.

If your still unsure, you can always update later while you learn more about rooting and such. Who knows, you might get the itch to root and learn more about your phone, and the open source android platform.

trishl93612 likes this.
  3. trishl93612

trishl93612 New Member This Topic's Starter

I forgot to ask if I need to reset the phone to Factory settings.
    Thank you so much for the quick reply:):)

4. thetodor

thetodor New Member

You don't need to reset to the factory settings - everything will be kept when you upgrade. Also, keep in mind that it'll take a while for you to get the 2nd part of the update after you install the first one that you're getting prompted about - sometimes a few days.

Once the phone is unlocked from the carrier, it remains unlocked regardless of upgrades or changes to the OS. I recommend you install the update - it's a much better OS. If you do wanna root your phone later, there's nothing stopping you from doing that after you've installed the 2.2 update. You can also downgrade later if you wish (it's not a straightforward downgrade, but it IS possible to restore your phone to 1.6 again).