• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Update from 4.2.2 to 4.3 keeping root

MrEmmeBi

Lurker
Aug 1, 2013
Hi All,

I've been googling this for a while, but I couldn't find a final solution to this.

If I want to update from 4.2.2 to 4.3 (which should be the latest version officially available to this phone, right?) keeping root, how do I do it? I don't want to lose data either.

I have a sick idea: if I apply the update from the phone, loosing root, can I use Nexus Root Toolkit to make a full backup, root the phone (thus losing data) and then restore the full image of my phone? Would this work?

Thanks!

Fully unroot (you don't lose any data), update, reroot. Rooting has nothing to do with your data, it just installs (by one trick or another) the binary file for su. (and installs the Superuser app or a similar one, but that doesn't require tricks (or even root).

That's cool! So, if I update and then reroot with the Nexus toolkit, I won't lose any data/app installed?

I'll try and keep you posted! Then why there were apps that were working up to 4.2 that allowed you to keep root through an OTA update? Just curious :D

Upvote 0
Rukbat's suggestion should work without losing data/app installed.

However, it is pretty easy just to factory reset when updating to 4.3, just makes a feel better.

Doesn't take too long to restore everything.

Then, would my first idea work? Once I have updated to 4.3 and lost root, can I make a full image backup with the toolkit and then restore it after a reset? Or would this full backup bring the same problems that we want to solve with a reset?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones