Update gave me free Wifi Hotspot?!

Last Updated:

1. aarrowgant

aarrowgant Member This Topic's Starter

So after my upgrade I now see the app and am able to start it and select my encryption. I have not hit the commit button because I worry that by doing so it will indicate to Sprint I want to pay the $30/mo...

Is this just me or are others out there that did not get it that have upgraded and now can kick it off?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. ScorpDX

ScorpDX Well-Known Member

Mine has always been able to go that far. I, like you, have never went past the encryption screen fearing the $30 on my bill!

3. Mikesnap

Mikesnap Well-Known Member

im scared to even touch it cause i don't want to get charged $30 / month

damewolf13 and ryohei47 like this.
  4. dylan88

dylan88 Well-Known Member

it has been free. they made it free for the first month

5. gear.h34d.2012

gear.h34d.2012 Well-Known Member

Wait, really?

6. flukeSG2

flukeSG2 Well-Known Member

Mine didn't and doesn't work. I wasn't afraid to try it out as soon as I got it. However since it didn't work and I don't feel like paying for it anyways, I rooted the phone and have it free now anyways.

7. PuRock

PuRock Well-Known Member

I just tried and got the error "Data Call Failure" Registration Failure.

So isn't free on mine. Neither before or after the upgrade.

8. bossxii

bossxii Well-Known Member

On 3G it doesn't work "free", however as I understand it from talking to a few Sprint techs, their is a loop hole they will close sometime in July that has allowed the Hotspot to work in 4G areas. Unintended or not, a "free" trail may get some people hooked on the speed and connivence of it. Who knows....

9. baizej

baizej Member

Before the update the Sprint Hotspot would work for me, but only on 4G. It was a glitch in Sprint's system that the Hotspot app worked for free on 4G, but not 3G. Sprint knew about it and said to enjoy it until they got it fixed. I think the update fixed it since it will open, but not turn on with 4G or 3G.

10. heavychevy

heavychevy Well-Known Member

I would upgrade and pay the $30/mo if Sprint would extend the 4g in my area up about 4 miles.

My home WIFI is so weak I can USB tether on 3g and get faster speeds than my DSL. Pathetic.

11. muncher

muncher Well-Known Member

that's a great reason to cancel your dsl, root your evo, and tether away

12. sitlet

sitlet Banned

The hotspot has always been there for me. If you go through the setup, all it does is give you an error. You wont be charged.

13. terekkincaid

terekkincaid Member

Just tried it out here in Austin. On 3G, I get a password error when I try to turn on the hotspot. On 4G, everything starts up just fine. I guess I'll have to wait to get home to see if my laptop can actually connect and get a signal, but it looks like it's working fine. I think they don't have the access controls set up on the 4G network yet, so it's a Sprint-side thing, not a phone-side thing. I updated to the latest patch and can do it. Too bad the places I travel to and might actually need to use a mobile wi-fi spot don't have 4G. Guess I have to wait for another root (yeah, I updated without remember I was Unrevoked. At least I didn't brick :p)