• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Update install success poll

Please choose one

• No root or lagfix, update succeeded

Votes: 83 46.1%
  • No root or lagfix, update failed

Votes: 13 7.2%
  • Rooted only, update succeeded

Votes: 16 8.9%
  • Rooted only, update failed

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • Lagfix only, update succeeded

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lagfix only, update failed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rooted & lagfix, update succeeded

Votes: 15 8.3%
  • Rooted & lagfix, update failed

Votes: 29 16.1%

• Total voters
I wonder if the patched Voodoo kernel is interfering somehow. Or could it be that all those missing AT&T bloatware apps are mucking up the process somehow?

Could be either. If the update contains logic that expects a certain kernel, or certain files to be there (because the user isn't supposed to be able to remove them) then it could definitely fail.

Surprised only 77 people on this forum have applied the update... figured there'd be more.

I'm suddenly in a situation where I might be forced to root against my will for another issue and I'm concerned about being able to apply this update if I do. The stats in the poll so far don't make me feel confident...

Upvote 0
Hi all-- I posted this over at XDA but thought I would come here to get some more data from people. I know there's a poll, but I think a more in-depth profile of successful updates might be useful. If you've responded to the XDA thread, please don't respond here, and vice versa. Thanks everyone!

I was reading through the OTA fiasco thread and noted that there are a good number who have successfully updated, but that there has been no systematic investigation of what might trigger a failure versus a successful update. It may be futile to try, but what the heck?

This survey is only for those who have successfully updated and is intended to perhaps build a small dataset so we can start to see if there's some commonality to the setups that have worked. Please cut and paste the queries below into your response, and thanks! (Also, suggestions for better questions are welcome!).

1.a. Was your phone rooted when you updated? If yes, what method did you use to root?

1.b. If your phone was not rooted at the time of update, had you ever previously rooted your phone? If so, what method did you use to un-root?

1.c. If you have never rooted your phone, was it perfectly stock when you updated?

2.a. Were you running a lag fix when you updated?

2.b. If not, had you ever previously had a lag fix installed?

2.c. If Yes to either question above, which lag fix(es) have you used?

3.a. Did you have a custom ROM or kernel employed when you updated?

3.b. If not, had you installed custom ROMs or kernels previously?

3.c. If Yes to either question above, what ROMs and/or kernels have you installed?

3.d. Regarding 3.c., what method(s) did you use to install/uninstall?

4.a. Did you perform a factory data reset prior to updating?

5.a. Were any "bloatware" apps deleted from your phone at the time you updated?

5.b. If not, had you previously removed "bloatware" and then reinstalled it prior to updating?

5.c. If yes to either of the above, what apps did you delete/restore?

5.d. Regarding 5.c., what method(s) did you use to uninstall and/or reinstall?

6.a. Was your GPS "working" prior to the update? If yes, explain generally what you mean by "working." (i.e. "I got lock in under 15 seconds on 7 sats with 20meter accuracy")

6.b. If your GPS was working prior to the update, had you applied any unofficial GPS fixes on your own? If yes, what had you tried?

6.c. Regardless of whether the GPS was working for you or not, did the update improve your GPS performance? If yes, please explain generally what improvements you see.

7.a. Did you take any additional steps to attempt to return your phone to stock prior to updating?

Thanks all!

Upvote 0
Of course, this is not a scientific study, as there are almost certainly many people who have attempted the upgrade and have not shared their individual results.

From the above Poll result numbers, another point of view:

No Root/Lagfix

Total: 82
Successful: 73 Pct: 89
Unsuccessful: 9 Pct: 11

Root Only

Total: 27
Successful: 10 Pct: 37
Unsuccessful: 17 Pct: 63

Lagfix Only

Total: 0
Successful: 0 Pct: N/A
Unsuccessful: 0 Pct: N/A

Rooted/Lagfixed

Total: 30
Successful: 11 Pct: 37
Unsuccessful: 19 Pct: 63

Of the totally stock phones, only 1 in 9 failed.

Of the modified (rooted) phones, only 1 in 3 passed.

The reader can draw his/her own conclusions from the observations.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones