Update killed my droid

Last Updated:

1. rookiedroid49

rookiedroid49 Member This Topic's Starter

Yesterday I clicked the update button on my droid, and now my droid is dead, all that appears is the motorola logo, even after pulling the battery. Of course technical support at Verizon has no clue what is wrong. The phone will not even turn off unless i take the battery out, the motorola logo shows until the phone goes dead.

As this is my second droid, I don't know that I want a 3rd one. My opinion is that the droid would be a neat smartphone-- if it worked. I doubt that anyone could ever consider using the droid as a business phone, since it randomly quits working. I've had many cell phones and blackberries and never had to return any of them.

I have the best buy protection plan, but not sure that entitles me to a new or different phone, since my droid is about 3 months old. Any ideas from out there? Thanks- disapointed droid owner

Advertisement
  2. droidftw

droidftw Well-Known Member

I had the same problem. Go under the root section and under no fear of bricking. Do everything it says and ull be back at stock. I did this and downloaded the update again and it worked.

rookiedroid49 likes this.
  3. jdreamerw

jdreamerw New Member

I also had this issue. You can also boot your phone up in 'safe mode'.Hold the X down while your phone boots up. Once there click your volume button up and hit the camera button.

From there you can put your phone back in stock mode. Unfortunetly you lose all any apps you downloaded. If you paid for them you can still get them back at no fee. You'l also lose your contacts, unless you have them saved to your gmail account.

Thats what i had to do this morning when I got my update. My phone turned on though with update 2.1 ready to roll.

If you need any help just reply to the thread, be happy to walk you thru it.

4. rookiedroid49

you mean hit the power button and x at the same time-- doesn't seem to be doing anything still- just the logo on the screen

5. rookiedroid49

ok, i got to the safe mode, and then selected re boot system now-- the screen is dark-- is it doing anything?

6. Bricked Droid

Bricked Droid Member

What he was suggesting for after you booted that way, was to choose the "factory reset" or "wipe data" option. I'm not sure what it's called in the stock recovery console.

After doing that, your phone should boot up as if it were brand new. If you sync your data with google, your contacts and apps will be restored a few minutes after reactivation.

7. aaron19953

aaron19953 Well-Known Member

had the same problem..

8. hastings

hastings Member

same here, after 'update' all I got was the droid text and the droid eye. I pulled my sd card, copied everything over to my laptop, and did a factory reset. Thankfully all I seem to have lost was my downloaded apps and a few notes that weren't saved to the sd card. A nice smack on the head for not backing up before doing the update. A couple hours later had almost everything redownloaded (the market listed all my downloaded that I lost) and didn't have to rebuy any purchased apps.

9. rookiedroid49

Ok i did the "wipe data" and "reboot system now" commands and back to the motorola logo- nothing......... . should it turn back on, or do you have to power it on?

10. rookiedroid49

wow, I'm thinking that I probably lost all my pictures as well as downloaded apps. No device should be this complicated

11. Bricked Droid

Bricked Droid Member

Pictures and such are on the SD card and will not be affected by this. Even if you have to trade your phone in for a new one, you can get them off, or just have Geed Squad do it for you. If you phone didn't boot up normally, try a battery pull and power on. If that doesn't work, you need to take it back or see about trying what is described in this thread.

Sorry about your bad Droid experience. I've had mine since launch, never had a single problem, and truly enjoy using it.

12. Xritam

Xritam Well-Known Member

pictures are on sd apps are in system memory

13. jdreamerw

jdreamerw New Member

How's everything looking with your phone? As someone said, its the factory restore/stock option. Click that and aftit wipes your phone all you need to do is reset it. Then you should be fine.

14. droidftw

droidftw Well-Known Member

Just do whaat I said it is a real factory reset. It not just a wipe. Do the rsd lite

15. Berkshire5

Berkshire5 Active Member

Sorry to hear about your troubles... But I say bring it to Verizon and have them fix it up for you.