Update on 09-22-10 (google?)Support

Last Updated:

1. wscottb

wscottb Member This Topic's Starter

On Wed. 09-22-10 my LG Ally went into an update download on its own. My phone was sitting on my desk and I looked over at it and there was a white box on my screen with files flying onto an Andriod icon. This took about 5 - 8 minutes. While this was going on, my side indicater light was flashing blue. After a few minutes my phone rebooted and once it completed this reboot I noticed the battery indicator was in the yellow, before this update it was well over 50% green. It clicked on my andriod advanced task killer and there were MANY apps running, many that I never seen before. Killed all apps and kept checking avery 10 - 15 minutes and noticed these apps keep comming on. I left it go, charged my phone and noticed this behavior for the next day...So I called verizon and they stated it was a forced update from Google and there was nothing they could do for me. I used to be able to text, facebook and make calles for a 13 hour period with out charging and with out all these apps running. Now I am lucky to get 3 - 5 hours out of my battery with just texting adn calling.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

Advertisement
  2. skater95

skater95 Well-Known Member

first of all get rid of the task killer, does more harm then good, and they update was VZB update one dpdate before froyo, the you see that you've never seen before are new apps from the update

DoctorZaius68 likes this.
  3. thedrizl

thedrizl Well-Known Member

i use a combo of Battery Booster and Systempanel for improved power performance.

i don't know who you spoke with at Verizon, but it proves once again that they have absolutely no knowledge on these phones. the update came from LG, not Google, and it was supposed to fix some problems and add some bloatware. my ally does seem to be a little snappier, however the update is giving me other problems.

4. wscottb

Hi Skater95...Thnaks for the info....do you suggest a different task killer then? or just none at all?

5. wscottb

IS this battery boost an app? where do I find it

6. skater95

skater95 Well-Known Member

None at all

DoctorZaius68 likes this.
  7. blkarmphoenix

blkarmphoenix New Member

Ok I am a little confused so bear with me. How is uninstalling task killer supposed to help stop rrunning all these background tasks?

8. dots

dots Well-Known Member

wscottb likes this.
  9. warkrismagic

warkrismagic Member

Its not. But it should help with battery life. Background tasks tend not to use very much battery life 'cause they're not usually active, they're there so when the program that uses them calls on them its quick. On top of that, on occasions that they are actually doing something, if you kill them, they'll often just restart and start the process from the beginning.

Android has its own built in task killer that automatically builds a kind of hierarchy of what apps/services are most important and kills those you haven't used in a little while when it needs the memory for something else. In addition, task killers from the app store are often the root of many weird bugs. You may get some short term benifits (phone seems a bit snappier, etc.) for a little while after killing programs, but it does more harm than good.

wscottb likes this.
  10. blay

blay Well-Known Member

That article + comments was a good read. Thanks.

wscottb likes this.
  11. thedrizl

thedrizl Well-Known Member

yeah, it's available from the market, paid and free versions. just do a search for battery booster. it's a great little app because it puts a lot of the things that eat power in the spot so you can easily switch them on/off.

12. Slyck

Slyck New Member

I'm having the SAME exact battery problem. It's ridiculous. My phone battery has gone from being able to last 2 days to barely lasting 24 hours. What in the world is it doing in the background that's eating so much battery while the phone is IDLING?? The Ally has become pretty annoying after this update...

13. Just Different

Just Different New Member

why cant i get my phone to install the update after it downloads?