• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Update on 09-22-10 (google?)

wscottb

Lurker
Sep 24, 2010
On Wed. 09-22-10 my LG Ally went into an update download on its own. My phone was sitting on my desk and I looked over at it and there was a white box on my screen with files flying onto an Andriod icon. This took about 5 - 8 minutes. While this was going on, my side indicater light was flashing blue. After a few minutes my phone rebooted and once it completed this reboot I noticed the battery indicator was in the yellow, before this update it was well over 50% green. It clicked on my andriod advanced task killer and there were MANY apps running, many that I never seen before. Killed all apps and kept checking avery 10 - 15 minutes and noticed these apps keep comming on. I left it go, charged my phone and noticed this behavior for the next day...So I called verizon and they stated it was a forced update from Google and there was nothing they could do for me. I used to be able to text, facebook and make calles for a 13 hour period with out charging and with out all these apps running. Now I am lucky to get 3 - 5 hours out of my battery with just texting adn calling.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

i use a combo of Battery Booster and Systempanel for improved power performance.

i don't know who you spoke with at Verizon, but it proves once again that they have absolutely no knowledge on these phones. the update came from LG, not Google, and it was supposed to fix some problems and add some bloatware. my ally does seem to be a little snappier, however the update is giving me other problems.

Upvote 0
Ok I am a little confused so bear with me. How is uninstalling task killer supposed to help stop rrunning all these background tasks?

Its not. But it should help with battery life. Background tasks tend not to use very much battery life 'cause they're not usually active, they're there so when the program that uses them calls on them its quick. On top of that, on occasions that they are actually doing something, if you kill them, they'll often just restart and start the process from the beginning.

Android has its own built in task killer that automatically builds a kind of hierarchy of what apps/services are most important and kills those you haven't used in a little while when it needs the memory for something else. In addition, task killers from the app store are often the root of many weird bugs. You may get some short term benifits (phone seems a bit snappier, etc.) for a little while after killing programs, but it does more harm than good.

Reactions: wscottb
Upvote 0
I'm having the SAME exact battery problem. It's ridiculous. My phone battery has gone from being able to last 2 days to barely lasting 24 hours. What in the world is it doing in the background that's eating so much battery while the phone is IDLING?? The Ally has become pretty annoying after this update...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones