• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Update on 4g, 3g, 1x, to no data issue!

burban

Mar 20, 2011
Been having a problem with my tbolt from day 1. Been through the tech support, opened a ticket, they sent me a new phone, blah blah phone still does the same thing. It only does this at my house in our out doors. If you go 1 mile to the South or the East data connection in 4g is fabolous but cross that line and I loose data and my battery drains like a bathtub.

Tech support came out last week and used there signal meters and said I had great 4g signal, hence the new phone. Well new phone same problem so I called by business rep and he actually brough his tbolt out and it did the same thing so he is going back to support to see what is happening. I would be happy if at least the 3g would come on and maintain a connection but it won't!

Those with similar problems have you had any resolve or received information from Verizon? BTW, This is an a fully covered 4g area according to the coverage map, not and extended 4g coverage area.

Thanks,

Look like the stock radio to me. I just think verizon has been working on their network, my signal seemed to have improved by ages, lol. I have it rooted but still the stock firmware, so I dont think the rom fixed anything its more like verizon is getting their shit together.

I'd be willing to agree with this. I've noticed my signal improving around DFW as well too....

Upvote 0
I am in the Oklahoma City Edmond Area. I have been in Grapevine twice since getting my tbolt and have had some issues with the 4g dropping to nada as well. Not as bad as at my house but the same issue none the less. I reported the issue with both locations on my trouble ticket. Last night I tried the *#*#4363#*#* and set to evo only. While this did give me constanct data connection I was unable to dial out with my phone????? I was hoping that would be a work a round until the issue was resolved. Getting frustrated now! Wouldn't bother me as bad if I could just get at lease a constant 3g connection but no data whatsoever is unacceptable. It will be 2 weeks tomorrow!

Upvote 0
As I stated in a previous post 4G/3G Toggle using Phone Info app cause Verizon to put "blocks" on 3G?!!!

I went to Verizon after I could only choose 4G or 1X - 3G wouldn't connect anymore...I was told Verizon put blocks on my 3G, so I would use "Phone Info" or dialing that code in with some worry that it is going to ruin your 3G. They had to submit a ticket to customer service corporate from the official verizon store in chicago to lift the blocks on my account. FYI proceed with caution manually switching between 4G/3G.

Upvote 0
Been having a problem with my tbolt from day 1. Been through the tech support, opened a ticket, they sent me a new phone, blah blah phone still does the same thing. It only does this at my house in our out doors. If you go 1 mile to the South or the East data connection in 4g is fabolous but cross that line and I loose data and my battery drains like a bathtub.

Tech support came out last week and used there signal meters and said I had great 4g signal, hence the new phone. Well new phone same problem so I called by business rep and he actually brough his tbolt out and it did the same thing so he is going back to support to see what is happening. I would be happy if at least the 3g would come on and maintain a connection but it won't!

Those with similar problems have you had any resolve or received information from Verizon? BTW, This is an a fully covered 4g area according to the coverage map, not and extended 4g coverage area.

Thanks,

I don't know if this is the same issue, but I had 4G service and it was working great. Then I only had 1x and could not get it to go back to 4G. I went to the BB store and it showed 1x. The sales person showed me the TB on display and it had 4G! So I knew there was something wrong and it wasn't "oh you must not be in a 4G location". So he took out the battery and put it back in. That did the trick and it went back to 4G. He said sometimes you have to do a "soft" reset with the battery. Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Thanks, but I have done the battery trick, new phone, hard resets, switching data roaming off and on, etc. to no avail. It only happens in one area I have found. That area happens to be my house and my childrens school which is 1/2 mile from my house where I spend a lot of time at athletic events and I need my data to work.

Upvote 0
Update, I called on my trouble ticket on National Support. Was basically told that I have tower issues in my area and that they did not know when or if it would be fixed. I told them that is not a good thing to tell a new customer that just transfered lines. She told me that I was still in my worry free period and could just port back if I wanted to. BTW, I was very pleasant to her and not rude or short at all.

On another note, I have my local Business rep working on it as well. He says they have great coverage and signals in the area. He was heading out there today with Verizon Engineers to see if they could isolate the issue. He basically says that where I am having issues with connection I am in the epicenter very middle of the towers that serve the location and they think that may be causing the issue, the device not knowing what tower to connect to. He said something about adjusting the beams on the towers. Not sure exactly but this is what I have as of now.

Also, justed wanted to say that I am in a former Alltell area. At least they are working on it.

Upvote 0
This is not an isolated issue. Folks all over the US are having this problem. All the popular TB forums have people complaining. Our phone does the same thing... 4G... 3G... 1X... No data... The only thing that works is to remove the battery. This works but it's a band aid. It will eventually do it again. When we are in a strong 4G area it doesn't seem to do it. It's when the signal drops to only 2 or 3 bars of 4G that it does it.

Is there an app that can mimic replacing the battery? It's not the easiest cover to remove several times a day. A reset app would be awesome!

Hopefully a permanent fix is found soon.

Upvote 0
I use WeatherBug Elite, and its a good thing with the tornadoes the last two days. When I was set to stock settings, WB set to hourly update, I'd often turn on my TB to see the WB failed to update icon. So I hit manual update and it works in a blink.

Used phone info and knocked the data connection down to CDMA Only (PRL), I see a 3G icon, no problems with calls, WB synchs on its own, and I get a little under double the battery life.

The 4G network is amazing when it works, but it still needs some problems fixed. I'm going to stay on 3G for a couple of weeks.

Upvote 0
I have been lurking in the shadows for several weeks reading about the thunderbolt before the release, just to make sure that is the phone I want. The day BB offered the phone I went and got it. Love the phone, But.....

It took 2 days for tech support to get the internet connection fixed. The phone would not connect. Finally got that fixed.

Then a week later I called to see what it would take to use the video chat option on the phone and found out that it is not working thru Skype yet. No idea how long until that problem has been corrected. And also the hotspot feature would only be free till May and then 20 more a month.

Then the other day (3-31) I noticed that my phone was showing 1x and not 3g anymore. I do not have 4g in my area as of yet. I was also getting messages when I sent texts that the message was not sent, do you want to retry. Sometimes I would have to resend 5 or 6 times to get the message to go thru, time to call Verizon support again.

Well I was on the phone with tech support for 2 hours before they came to the conclusion that the problem was not the phone but the plan that I am on. I am still on a Alltel plan with free text, data and 10 friends. They told me that the plan would not support the phone and that I need to upgrade. I told the guy I was talking to that 2 other tech supports and they told me I would be crazy to ever upgrade my plan to a Verizon plan. Well come to find out that was the 14th day and if I wanted to switch back I could. I was stuck between a rock and a hard place since I have never had any issues with other phones that I have had in the past, and I had just bought 2 TB's for me and my wife. So I told him to switch it back to my old phones and I would return my phones back to BB the next morning. He thought I was crazy or pulling his leg. It was going to cost me another 500 a year to upgrade to a Verizon plan and the phone is not worth that to me, atleast until the bugs get worked out. Once again I loved the phone and would get it again once things get straight.

I am glad to see others are having issues with 3g/1x data problems and assume it had nothing to due with my alltel plan. I would have been really pissed if I switched data plans only to find out months later there was a fix from HTC or Verizon. Good luck to you and your phones and dont fall for the "you need to upgrade" scam.

Sorry for the book.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones