• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Update on rebooting problem

gripweed

Android Enthusiast
May 11, 2010
I had another thread, but my Inc has been having the rebooting problem. I have a network extender, but it apparently doesn't help the Inc until you're in a call.

Now, my dad has the same phone and his has never rebooted. He went to an area where he knew there was no signal and had no reboots. He's in the 300+ consecutive hours without it rebooting.

I went home over the weekend and had no reboots. I took my phone to an area with no signal and had no reboots, even though I was there for a few hours with no signal.

So it can't just be a low signal thing. It has to be a tower thing.

Tomorrow I'm going to the verizon store that has a tech to talk to them about it. If they can't help, I'm calling verizon to talk to someone.

There is no other answer as to what's causing reboots than a tower problem. So they should be able to look at whatever tower my town is using and see what's not up to date/not like every other tower my phone has used and it should be fixable.

So hopefully tomorrow, I may have an answer as to what my tower's problem is causing the error and maybe Verizon will take that as proof and start doing something about it. Or at the very least, I can give you guys the information and you can make verizon verify if your tower is using that or not.

For example, if they tell me my tower is update x, but the towers in neighboring towns are all y, then clearly update x has a problem with the Inc and you guys could get verizon to verify if your towers are x or y.

Will that help anyone? Because I'll gladly put in as much effort as I can seeing as how I have proof, including pictures, that it's a tower problem.

I had another thread, but my Inc has been having the rebooting problem. I have a network extender, but it apparently doesn't help the Inc until you're in a call.

Tomorrow I'm going to the verizon store that has a tech to talk to them about it. If they can't help, I'm calling verizon to talk to someone.

The answer I got from a verizon phone tech (Robert.Ricci@VerizonWireless.com) was.......it's an app issue. (??)

Here is the procedure he recommended. NOTE....I did NOT do it. I'm waiting to see what happens if/when an OTA update arrives.

Step 1. Verify that data is backed up. Contacts-login to you gmail acct (make sure you have your gmail pwd, if not go to gmail.com to get it reset) on a pc and click contacts and should list your phone contacts. Pictures/videos/music-should be on memory card, can check by connecting device with usb to pc, click mount usb in notification panel on device and click My Computer from pc and view the contents of the removable disk (memory card).
Step 2. Master reset device:

1. Touch Home
    2. Touch Menu
    3. Touch Settings
    4. Touch Privacy
    5. Touch Factory data reset.
    6. On the Factory data reset screen, tap Reset phone
    7. Tap Erase everything.
Note: Reset may take anywhere from 1 - 10 minutes for reset and restart depending on amount of data on device.

Step 3. Reactivate device: After device reboot click activate and choose option 1 to program. Then add your gmail acct and continue to main screen. Recommend to only install 1 app per day or so to test which may be causing the power cycling.

Upvote 0
I hope it helps, but I hope they don't take it as evidence that one area has a problem and others don't when it seems like the problem is everywhere and not "just in North Carolina" (or wherever else they say).

Right...and I'm in Ohio....so if our tower(s) have problems, and NC towers have problems, then it shows it's not just an NC thing.

Upvote 0
The answer I got from a verizon phone tech (Robert.Ricci@VerizonWireless.com) was.......it's an app issue. (??)

Here is the procedure he recommended. NOTE....I did NOT do it. I'm waiting to see what happens if/when an OTA update arrives.

Step 1. Verify that data is backed up. Contacts-login to you gmail acct (make sure you have your gmail pwd, if not go to gmail.com to get it reset) on a pc and click contacts and should list your phone contacts. Pictures/videos/music-should be on memory card, can check by connecting device with usb to pc, click mount usb in notification panel on device and click My Computer from pc and view the contents of the removable disk (memory card).
Step 2. Master reset device:

1. Touch Home
    2. Touch Menu
    3. Touch Settings
    4. Touch Privacy
    5. Touch Factory data reset.
    6. On the Factory data reset screen, tap Reset phone
    7. Tap Erase everything.
Note: Reset may take anywhere from 1 - 10 minutes for reset and restart depending on amount of data on device.

Step 3. Reactivate device: After device reboot click activate and choose option 1 to program. Then add your gmail acct and continue to main screen. Recommend to only install 1 app per day or so to test which may be causing the power cycling.

I refuse to accept it's an App thing.

The app only causes problems in my house? Where I've had service problems with every phone since living here?

Neighboring towns, cities, and states....I've never had a problem.

So unless I have an app called 'my house is a jerk' it's not an app problem.

Upvote 0
I'm going to talk to different people today though, so hopefully I got an answer of some sorts tonight.

There are a lot of issues, rumors, and speculation going around about the rebooting issue with the incredible. I already went through all these shenanigans and I have a sure way to fix it. First, here are some facts.

1. Some people in NC had tower/signal issues.
2. If you weren't one of the people who lived in NC who were affected by the tower issue, then you are MOST LIKELY not having a tower/signal issue.
3. The reason I say most likely is that I've read on these forums that some people living outside NC have reported rebooting in areas of low signal, when some people as yourself, can get low signal as yourself, and that not be the factor that causes the reboot.
4. I've read posts of people experiencing reboots while people in their same household have a DI also, and don't have reboots.
5. There are probably A FEW UNKNOWN HARDWARE anomalies causing a reboot.
6. Verizon should've taken the nexus one instead of the DI. The only other difference is the 5 and 8MP camera which is a marketing thing to attract people who don't know a thing about picture quality.
7. I wish I could've gotten the nexus one on verizon for the better build quality, and froyo.

My old phone rebooted about every half hour. I tried a hardware reset and didn't install much but the basic apps, no task killer. If my phone didn't reboot randomly while idling, it rebooted when i swiped down to unlock it, or strangely it would reboot when i pressed the 3G widget to turn 3G on.

One fix that has worked for atleast one person(don't know if it was permanent, i didn't get an update) is changing system select under mobile network settings to Home only. Didn't work for me.

Here's the sure fix for the signal. ORDER A NEW PHONE RIGHT AWAY. I think after the first 30 days, they are allowed to send you a refurbished phone, so don't wait around, order ASAP.

See here for more info:
http://androidforums.com/support-troubleshooting-incredible/69315-random-reboots.html

Upvote 0
I'm with you gripweed. I live near Cleveland, and where I work I get little signal whatsoever. I've traveled all over Ohio (just went to see my folks this past weekend in Cincinnati) and my phone never reboots itself anywhere but where I work. At my apartment it's great, on I-71 it was a champ, SR13 to Newark to visit the gf it does fine, crappy side roads surrounded by cornfields no problem. It only ever reboots at work. I can't get through a work day without it rebooting itself a minimum of twice, and I've experienced up to 20 in one day.

In addition, I have tried the "factory reset, don't do anything, don't install anything" that Verizon recommends. Went to work after doing the factory reset with my bone-stock phone, and within 20 minutes of being there it rebooted. So it is not possible for it to be an app problem, unless it's one of HTC's baked-in apps.

I find it hard to believe that there's a hardware flaw that only manifests itself when I'm at work. It's possible (different types of radio signals, maybe a lack of proper shielding, etc) but highly unlikely. It's much much MUCH more likely that there's some software bug related to signal strength, type of tower, and tower switching that either tries to draw more power than the battery can deliver, or causes a race condition in the kernel, which causes a reboot.

All I know about this whole situation is that there has been not nearly enough definite communication from Verizon/HTC about exactly what's causing the problem and when we can expect a fix for our very expensive devices. All we get are conflicting stories (we've never heard of this / this is a known issue) and "well there'll be a software update soon," which we all know means "we might fix it sometime between now and the time you're eligible for a new phone."

I got this phone at release, and have been extremely disappointed with how the numerous bugs have been handled both by HTC and VZW. I was actually told by the guy at VZW "well you bought a brand new phone, which means you basically signed up to be a beta tester for the first 6 months." No, I paid a lot of money for a brand new phone which means I expected it to at least be able to stay on all day.

I agree with mttfrog, as well. If you're within your 30 days, take your phone back and have them send you a brand new one. Make them eat as many of them as it takes for you to get one that works. If you're outside your 30 days, I'd still go back and swap out for as many refurbs as it takes to get one that works. I believe someone else on these forums (can't remember who, sorry) mentioned that if you replace the same phone 3 times due to manufacturer defects, they have to let you pick out a new phone. I haven't verified that, but it'd be worth doing if that's true.

Upvote 0
Well I talked to a guy on the phone, because the store had an hour and a half wait...that place is a joke.

Anyways, the guy asked me, agreed that it's something goofy going on, actually seems to care about the issue, so I'm feeling good that I at least got someone interested.

He put me on hold for ten minutes to talk to the engineers to see if they know of anything about a problem using the Inc with the network booster. He came back and said they recommend to wipe the phone clean and see what happens without adding any apps. I said, well I've been reading several boards and a lot of people have tried that and had no luck. Also, I don't think there is an app that goes, oh I'm inside your house now, let me reboot your phone.

He goes, well you didn't try a clean wipe, right? I go, no I haven't myself, just seen everyone else try and 100% of them came back saying it was useless. He still wants me to do it. I don't really want to because I got shit how I like it.

He looked at our towers and didn't see anything weird and says I have 4 towers I could connect to where I live. So I told him I'd unplug the network extender for the night and see if I get any reboots. Maybe there is something conflicting between the towers and the booster, who knows.

He said if it does seem to be my booster, he'll send me a new one for free, even though I'm past my 1 year warranty. So that's good. I think I could probably get a new phone if I want to go that route too. My family/myself have been verizon customers for like 15 years now, maybe more, so, I got some leverage.

I hate to swap the phone though because it only happens in my house, no where else, so it's something here or in the area causing it.

Upvote 0
I'm with you gripweed. I live near Cleveland, and where I work I get little signal whatsoever.

What town are you in? I'm in Brecksville. I can be downtown Brecksville and it's fine. I go to my house, and it's reboot city.

My dad also has an inc and he will be out here next week. His phone is in the 400+ hours of continues power up time, so if he comes out here and sits for a couple of hours and gets a reboot, that's more proof it's something in this area.

I wish I knew someone else in the area with an Inc so I could test a couple phones at home. As of now both mine and my wife's are doing it and both work fine every where else. Can't wait to see how my dad's reacts.

Upvote 0
What town are you in? I'm in Brecksville. I can be downtown Brecksville and it's fine. I go to my house, and it's reboot city.

I live in Olmsted Township and work in Sheffield Township (near Lorain). It's not just when I'm in the building I work at either, I can be on my way to Amherst (only a couple miles up the road) for lunch and it'll reboot too. Something about this area, I think. Anywhere outside of Sheffield/Lorain/Elyria/Amherst and I'm golden. Anywhere in that area, and like you, I'm in reboot city.

Upvote 0
I'm on my second DINC (first had call quality issues). The new one has random reboots whereas the old one did not. Doesn't continuously reboot, just maybe 1-2 times per day.

I also noticed my wifi signal is not as strong on this new one. Using the same wireless router, etc. so no hardware difference on my end.

Agreed on the factory reset by VZW tech support. It is actually required procedure before they can send out a replacement. But a major pain for us. I purchased mybackup pro which is a big help in getting things back up and running again without having the redownload everything.

Upvote 0
So....without the network extender....which should mean a LOWER signal...you are NOT getting reboots?

Appears so.

It made it through the night with no reboots. It's been about 22 hours since I unplugged it and had no problems.

I plugged it back in now, see if the reboots start coming back.

So, no reboots with no signal back in PA, no reboots with low to no signal here after unplugging the network extender.

It appears my phone is fine and just not interacting with the network extender too well. Verizon is calling me back at 5 to see what I found out, so I wonder what he'll think about that. He said if it seemed to be the problem, he'd send me out a new extender. I'd think it'd be more of something in the droid software though, not like it's ever rebooted our old phones.

Upvote 0
Since it seems to be interaction with a tower....although it is a femtocell.....I wonder if it can be inferred that other phones rebooting also have to do with their towers.....and not an app like Verizon claims.

If they'll give you another extender....go for it....and let us know what happens!

He did not take kindly to me saying it was a problem with their tower.

He was really nice about everything, but didn't want to admit anything could be wrong on Verizon's end.

Upvote 0
Well, I've reset my phone. I didn't have problems when I first got the phone, they started about a month and a week after, so I've been hoping it's a "software problem." I'm slowly reinstalling apps - so far just handcent and pandora and updates to maps and facebook. It's been a day without reboots... first time in a long time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that once I've started using things like the navigation and such more intensely that things stay stable.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones