• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Update on the Official Phandroid Application

+1 on the dark theme as well. Have a couple of questions tho...why does it use 7.5 MB of cache on my phone
Don't know this one

and why is it always running? I'm on the DInc by the way.
If you have the Phandroid news widget on your screen, it will be refreshing itself. I know that when you get a PM, you will get notified in the notification bar.

There are two running services for Phandroid:
ForumPMService and NewsService

Playing around with it, I see that the 'auto sync' for news and 'PM notification' is auto checked off. If you don't want it to 'run in the background', you can uncheck these.

Reactions: xarophti and dan330
Upvote 0
Don't know this one

If you have the Phandroid news widget on your screen, it will be refreshing itself. I know that when you get a PM, you will get notified in the notification bar.

There are two running services for Phandroid:
ForumPMService and NewsService

Playing around with it, I see that the 'auto sync' for news and 'PM notification' is auto checked off. If you don't want it to 'run in the background', you can uncheck these.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have the 'Auto sync' feature unchecked which I assume means 'do not auto sync'. Is this correct? I also have the 'PM notification' unchecked as well. I do not have the widget on the screen.

If I go to 'Settings>Applications>Running services' the items that are running in the background are 'ForumPMService' and 'NewsService'. Together it shows them using 25MB. If I look at cache being used by the app it actually states 7.41 MB and not the 7.5MB I stated earlier.

I am curious if others show the same stats on their phones and if this would be considered normal for this app; or if its just me.

Upvote 0
Wemm my guess is that all of the text and graphics in the news items have to go somewhere... and it probably wouldn't be terribly efficient if they had to download each time someone clicked a news item.

On my phone both services are running and it's showing 11mb in use. CPU utilization, on the other hand, looks to be minimal for either process.

Upvote 0
Wemm my guess is that all of the text and graphics in the news items have to go somewhere... and it probably wouldn't be terribly efficient if they had to download each time someone clicked a news item.

On my phone both services are running and it's showing 11mb in use. CPU utilization, on the other hand, looks to be minimal for either process.

Yes, you are correct with that. In setting there's an option of how long the news data is cached on your phone.

Period of storing: News for selected period will be stored on your phone
Menu->Preferences ->Period of storing: 1, 2, 3, 4 weeks.
I'm not sure why it's that long tbh. I would much prefer if it's 1 day...

Upvote 0
That may be because of the database errors the forum has been experiencing.

Yeah. In the Dolphin or stock phone browser, there is either the regular "database error" or sometimes a blue and white, "we're working on it" message.

Another benefit of the Phandroid app: no-nonsense, one word error message when the site is momentarily down. :D

Upvote 0
Go back to Frisco's post - and go from there ;)

Who!?!?!?

That whoosh isn't the sound of Santa flying over your house!
christmastree1.gif

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones