Update or Root?

1. random255

random255 Well-Known Member

I thought one of the things the guy at Best Buy did this morning was update the phone, but it turns out that hasn't yet happened. I hear updating the phone kills the ability to root. I -just- got done downloading PC36IMG.zip, but now I wonder...should I root, or just do the update for now and wait for another way to root the phone later?

Advertisement
    :
  2. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

If you update now, all that work those dev's did in pre-release will be for not! Root I say!
  3. tkrechel

tkrechel Well-Known Member

Actually updating does NOT break the root posted by toast. again the OTA does NOT break the root posted by toast
    random255 likes this.
  4. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    random255 likes this.
  5. tkrechel

tkrechel Well-Known Member

read it on xda yourself /shrug. Multiple people including me still rooted after installing the update.
  6. bigcrab

bigcrab Member

Yes, toast method still works, the yet unposted unevoked method was broken by the update, and they say that they are close on rooting patched phones their way.
    random255 likes this.
  7. random255

random255 Well-Known Member

Verified: I updated the phone, boot loader is running along just fine. Not sure I'll be doing much with root access, but perhaps now at least I'll be free and clear of all those stupid Sprint apps. :) I love Sprint, just not a fan of NASCAR, Sprint TV, etc.
  8. lite blue

lite blue Well-Known Member

Does rooting allow you tp tether for free?
  9. ducatidrew

ducatidrew Well-Known Member

great question
  10. thediew

thediew Member

You can tether for "free" after you Root, the issue is, you can easily suck up a ton of bandwidth when you are using a laptop as opposed to your phone. Easy way to raise a red flag with Sprint, im pretty sure unauthorized tethering is a no no for them
  11. ducatidrew

ducatidrew Well-Known Member

point well taken