Update question after Velocity install

Last Updated:

1. GoWirelessSalesMgr

GoWirelessSalesMgr Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, phone's rooted, and I finally figured out why I couldn't get Rom Manager to load Velocity, so got Velocity working now (and lovin' it). I'm about to install the v02 update for Velocity, but have a question first. My phone is now trying to re-download the recent Ally firmware update. The whole reason I rooted my phone was 'cuz I got sick of the bloatware that came with that update.

So . . . should I download the update? And if so, before or after I update Velocity to v02 (as I'm assuming it'd ask again after installing the Velocity upgrade even if i updated firmware now)?

Also, will installing LG's update un-root my phone?

Advertisement
  2. Trident

Trident VIP Member VIP Member

Glad you got it working! :)
    I'll just help you here instead of replying to your PM.

Do NOT install the OTA. It will unroot your phone and will cause issues.

GoWirelessSalesMgr likes this.
  3. Valkerie

Valkerie Well-Known Member

I haven't bothered to install the new update and I'm perfectly happy with Velocity Drellisdee's JIT kernel. I'll wait until a custom ROM has the new antenna to upgrade.

4. GoWirelessSalesMgr

Ok, I won't install OTA. Is there a way to turn off that notification so that it doesn't ask me if I want to update every 10 minutes?

5. death2all110

death2all110 VIP Member VIP Member

If you have a custom recovery choose install now and the recovery will install and you may have to press the end button after it fails to get recovery to show up, then choose reboot system. this will stop the nag screen

6. GoWirelessSalesMgr

Ok, ran the v.02 update for Velocity, went to market to get Titanium to reinstall my backed up apps and data, but it won't install Titanium. Keeps saying I don't have enough memory, when settings show that I have plenty. Titanium is only 1.31mb, so this makes no sense. Any ideas?

7. death2all110

try clearing cache and dalvik cache via recovery?

8. GoWirelessSalesMgr

I've only cleared cache and dalvik via Rom Manager and Titanium. What is the command when I boot into recovery to clear it that way? (yes, I know it's a noob question)

9. skater95

skater95 Well-Known Member

If your using clockwork recovery. Go to cache partition and for dalvik cache go advance setting cleak dalvik cache

10. GoWirelessSalesMgr

hahaha, that was too easy. I feel like an idiot . . . wow lol. thanks man!

11. GoWirelessSalesMgr

grrrrrrrrrr! that didn't fix it. when i try to download titanium it still says installation unsuccessful due to "Insufficient storage available." I don't want to have to go back to 1.1, but it's looking like I might not have a choice. Any other suggestions?

12. death2all110

clear out your messages or just try reflashing the rom

13. GoWirelessSalesMgr

Ok, I went back to 1.1 and no drama. I'm gonna delete the update then re-download it to see if that solves it. I downloaded it thru Rom Manager . . . maybe I'll just use Trident's link instead.

14. death2all110

Yeah use tridents link and make sure you wipe all data and cache

15. GoWirelessSalesMgr

Awesome. Thanks all for the help. Reflashed 1.1, then downloaded and installed v0.2, and all is well (and Trident is the shiznit!). Got Drllsdee's JIT + OC kernel installed, too. Phone is much faster and looks better.

16. death2all110

Good to hear :)

17. gaetawoo

gaetawoo Guest

when i had velocity .2 and the update notification came, I told it to go ahead an install, and it rebooted into drellisdee's recovery, had an error so it didn't install, and then i rebooted it and then the Home button on the phone didn't work anymore and the power options (when you hold down the power button) went away and only turn off was available, instead of silent mode and airplane mode. So that method certainly didn't work. any ideas?

18. death2all110

Try a battery pull or a re-flash. never encountered that issue

19. gaetawoo

gaetawoo Guest

i just tried it all again. Here's what i did. cleared all the cache and davlik and data, then flashed velocity 2, then the update wanted to install and i told it to, and it stopped at the recovery, so i reboot, and then i put turbo4 with no kernal on it, and then the update notification popped up again so i told it to install it, and it stopped at recovery, then after reboot, no longer able to use the home button and the options list that pops up when you hold down the power button only contain Power Off. So i abandoned it all until velocity 3 comes out.

20. death2all110

still sounds like bad flashes, what recovery are you using?

21. gaetawoo

gaetawoo Guest

1.2.3 of drellisdee

22. dots

dots Well-Known Member

Bad flashes is the only thing i can think of too. Also there is an 1.2.4 of drellisdee's recovery. You could flash that one and try re-flashing velocity.

23. death2all110

i suddenly have this issue with velocity 0.3 it was just fine earlier today, now my send and home button dont work and i only have the power off option. i have a piss poor internet connection but it was fine yesterday and today up until an hour ago when the phone rebooted. been able to solve it yet?

Fixed, just reflashed rom

24. FalconFour

FalconFour Well-Known Member

Just figured I'd drop a "solutionbomb" on this here topic... I ran into the same problem.

If you're getting "insufficient storage available" messages (as I googled to find this topic), it's a misleading message. The actual problem - provided you DO have enough storage after all - is that the data folder (under /data/data/app.myappname.blahblah) doesn't have proper permissions set on it. There's a good thing and a bad thing to the way Linux and Android handle permissions - and it can cause wonky behavior like this. Root Explorer does a really terrible thing by showing the permissions but NOT the items' owners. The folders in the "data" path have unique user IDs for each app, like "app_1", "app_13", etc. If you just Windows-y "dumped" the folder back in there hoping you can restore your app data (why the hell ISN'T that possible?), that app won't work right until you manually remove that folder you restored and let the app installer recreate it.

So, solution: delete the /data/data/app.myappname.lol folder for your misbehaving app, and try reinstalling it. :)