update recovery image

Last Updated:

1. jimseng

jimseng New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi.
    I rooted my phone a while back and I am trying to update the recovery image. I think the recovery image I have downloaded (recovery-RA-hero-v1.6.2) has some extra options such as being able to flash the radio which is what I want to do. I have updated my rom to 2.1 by copying the image accross and naming it update.zip and booting into recovery and applying the update. That is fine and I am now running SenseHERO-2.1_signed-update. I have tried using flashrec but it fails with "cannot run command" and I think it is because I already have a patched recovery image.
    What is the best thing to do? Can I update my recovery image manually from the command line? Can I update the radio in the same way? Have I misunderstood the procedure? Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

You flash a new radio the same way you flash any other .zip, you shouldn't need to replace the recovery image.

But, the new recovery image is better, so it is worth upgrading. People have said this program makes it easy: Droid Explorer

Or, the amon ra page has instructions on how to do it via adb (or a terminal app on the phone): [Recovery ROM] [07-Mar-2010] RA-hero-v1.6.2 - xda-developers

3. jimseng

jimseng New Member This Topic's Starter

thanks.
    So when you flash a radio zip does the recovery image work out what to do with it? If I put a radio zip on my sd card and select "choose" and enter it's path (I am working from memory here) it will know to update the radio and not replace the rom?
    But anyway thanks for the link. I thought it would be through adb. I am gonna have a go because yes, the newer recovery images appear better.

4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Yeah, the recovery menu knows to treat it differently; you won't affect your firmware by flashing it.

Once it gets going though, bear in mind that the flashing process won't be exactly the same as flashing a ROM. The phone will reboot first and then flash the radio. Also, no matter what it does, do not remove the battery!