1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

Update Roaming Capabilities a MUSTTips

1. Willyg44

Willyg44 Well-Known Member

So I've been wondering why my service was HORRIBLE in my house when my previous phone had great service. The X would jump from 0-2 bars constantly. I updated my roaming capabilities (*228, option 2) and I'm getting pretty much full bars continuously and my speedtest showed my ping decrease by 100ms, download speed triple, and upload speed double. This may be a drain on peoples' batteries if they haven't updated their roaming capabilities and their service keeps jumping. This may have been discussed before, but I figured it doesn't hurt to repeat for other people who have issues with service.

Advertisement
  2. gvillager

gvillager Well-Known Member

This is very important if you live in a former Alltel area. VZW is doing a a lot of changes to the network to integrate the Alltel network into Verizons.
  3. Willyg44

Hmmm funny you mention that. Less than a year ago an Alltel store in my town switched to Verizon. I guess that could've been the case. Good to know.
  4. gvillager

gvillager Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity what state are you from?
  5. Willyg44

Currently in Florida.
  6. in2uition

in2uition Well-Known Member

Thank you for this tip! It definitely helped me get stronger signal strength. I hope this will help on battery life too.
  7. georgepink

georgepink Member

It's recommended by Verizon that you do the *228 option 2 update at least monthly.
  8. mwpeck

mwpeck Well-Known Member

Nice, didn't personally know about this (DX = my first cell phone), but my signal went from 3 to 4 bars (3 before doing it, 4 after) Not a huge jump (as it can vary from 3-4 in my area), but given my area I am surprised it has such good signal, will keep an eye on it throughout the day as, like I said, it does vary generally between 2-4 bars.
  9. dB Zac

dB Zac Well-Known Member

I love these threads because I always forget to update but then I read these and go...oh ya, I should dial *228 real fast
  10. joshellis625

joshellis625 Well-Known Member

I tried it and it said that it failed. I've used *228 on many a VZW phone and never had that problem...
  11. sparky07

sparky07 Well-Known Member

WOW! The DX is your first cell phone??? Thats' not right. You should have to go through a bunch of POS phones first so you can appreciate it more:)
  12. mwpeck

mwpeck Well-Known Member

Never had a need for a phone until I moved away from my parents, and they were willing to pay for whatever phone I wanted so :p ....I definitely do appreciate the X though, its a great phone.
  13. syntrix

syntrix Well-Known Member

Fixed that for you. :D
  14. alvinsofly

alvinsofly Member

so how to i do this update?
  15. mwpeck

mwpeck Well-Known Member

Do exactly what it says in the OP.....Open your dialer, press *228, then when the voice prompt comes up, press 2 and wait for your phone to update (there is no progress bar, it simply tells you to wait until it says it has completed successfully).
    XBarbarian and alvinsofly like this.
  16. iresq

iresq Active Member

If that's all it would take to make my kids move out. :D