Update Rooted Droid X to 2.3.340

Last Updated:

1. ndshah08

ndshah08 Guest This Topic's Starter

I have a rooted droid x running android 2.2 and would like to know if its safe to do the OTA update to 2.3.340. I have uninstalled some bloatware but that was the extent of my modifications.

If I do this update, will I unroot my phone and/or will it brick my phone?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Advertisement
  2. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

The update to 2.2 broke root for a lot of people, but at least it still upgraded. People that removed apps like CityId got errors and failed upgrades until they fixed it.

The way these upgrades work is they patch certain programs and if the program isn't there to patch (like Blockbuster, CityId, etc), the upgrade will usually fail.

You can postpone the upgrade if you like, say if you want to see what problems some people have, but eventually it will install on it's own, possibly a week or so later, if it's able.

One way that Froyo failed to download was when people had this setting checked:

Settings... Data Manager... Data Delivery... Social Applications... Sync over WIFI only:

• Checked: update check will fail
    • Unchecked: update will be downloaded
    This isn't foolproof, but might be handy for some people.

3. ionion

ionion Active Member

when you say fix it, do you mean sbf to an ota and do the update?

4. colchiro

Yes.

Ideally (in my mind anyway), you'd want to try to reinstall your removed apps and use SBF as a plan "B" if that doesn't work. If you simply froze them with Titanium Backup, then it's easy to unfreeze them or restore them from a backup. If you have no backup programs installed, then you'd have to redownload them and install them as system apps (a lot more work).

Another way bloatware was removed was to rename the apk files to apk.bak (or whateve), in which case, restoring the name back to "apk" would fix that problem.

OTOH, if you're lost by all this and want to flash it back to stock with the SBF file, cross your fingers and hope it works, that's an option: http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...ing-custom-rom-theme-how-unbrick-droid-x.html

Note, you may have trouble finding the 2.2 sbf posted anymore.

5. ionion

ionion Active Member

hmm i remember doing a backup with TI before i deleted any bloat. when i click it in TI there is no restore button but there is for others i deleted and the icons differ. some have a check mark others have a green arrow down kind of thing. can i restore from this?

*edit never mind figured it out. thanks for the replies though

6. colchiro

That's how I restored stuff for my stock OTA.

You have to select each file separately and pick "restore app".

7. k0smo86

k0smo86 Well-Known Member

How does it work with a ROM like Apex? Do I have to sbf back to stock to receive OTA? I'm not necessarily interested in this update, but just curious for future reference.

8. ionion

ionion Active Member

i dont have a restore app button when i click them. seems i have to the batch option for restoring them

*edit some are system apps

9. colchiro

If you're running a rom, you will not receive the update or it will fail. You have two options:

• restore a backup made of stock 2.3.15 without bloatware like CityID removed, which hopefully you did before the rom
    • flash the SBF to 2.2 (assuming you did not flash the 2.2.1 leak) You'd want to check your bootloader version before proceeding.

Doesn't sound like the Titanium Backup I have, but whatever lets you install it.

10. ionion

ionion Active Member

so if i was to try and update with the missing system apps and the update fails, will it still be functioning without doing anything? or will it be halfway through the update and fail and brick?

11. colchiro

My recollection from Froyo (if this is the same) is the update just fails to install, leaving an intact phone, but I can't be certain.

12. ndshah08

ndshah08 Guest This Topic's Starter

If you do try an OTA update, please do post your results.

13. colchiro

I'm sure you'll hear a lot of sob/success stories when OTA arrives.

14. ionion

ionion Active Member

dang i really should of gotten TI pro to freeze or root explorer to .bak the files

15. colchiro

You can't have enough backups. I have about 7 images (which I'll have to ditch after the OTA) and purchased Titanium and MyBackup Pro.

16. Rockaholic

Rockaholic Well-Known Member

If I am just dekdexed and themed (no Tom no frozen apps etc) will I have to,undeodex to receive the update?Also my boot animation is changed through a theme. Is changing it back a precaution I should take?

17. Coolguy71261

Coolguy71261 Well-Known Member

yea how do i root once on the leak? Havig trouble

18. novemberwhiskey

novemberwhiskey Well-Known Member

I am on apex 1.2, and the update dl just fine. It tried to install, but failed and just ended up rebooting. No errors shown until I tried to re-dl.

Just a heads-up to anyone that wants to try, you can save your time.

Also, get on wifi if the dl won't work right now.

19. deftdrummer

deftdrummer Well-Known Member

I am rooted running 2.2 Froyo (no custom rom) on my Droid X. I am hesitant to upgrade but I do want the new copy and paste features as well as enhanced Exchange support.

I have removed some bloatware using Root Explorer and deleting permanently. I guess I need to reinstall via .apk but is there any way to show exactly what I have removed?

Thanks for any help or links.

20. colchiro

Deft, there's a post entitled similar to "how to install apps as system apps". It tells how to reinstall removed bloat.

Another option, if you have a program like Titanium Backup installed, would be to restore them thru that.

21. BringTheRain403

BringTheRain403 Well-Known Member

So I"m rooted and deodexed and themed. Does anyone know if there is anything I have to do to get the update and keep root?

22. budmonster

budmonster Guest This Topic's Starter

so as long as your on 2.3.15 and have all the bloatware still installed, you should receive the 340 update eventually? and even if im still rooted and have all those clockwork files on my phone (logwrapper, hijack, etc.)?

23. blackberrier

blackberrier New Member

i just did the Verizon OTA on my DX, panicked when i realized i could've lost root. turns out the update installed and i still have my toys :D! only thing that happened that i can see is that the bloatware reappeared. whew!

24. Capeguy

Capeguy Well-Known Member

My phone updated with the OTA this morning, and I have lost root as a result. everything else seems to be working fine.

Is it safe to root the phone again, or am I asking for trouble? Titanium backup and Barnacle no longer work.

25. esemes

esemes Well-Known Member

I have the update trying to push through. Rooted with black glass installed. I renamed some bloat to.bak. really don't want this update! Can I decline permanently?