• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Update to 2.3.340 easily!

oops - you bricked yourself, please read the full instructions man...

and as for bootloops, the consensus on the street seems to be that coming from any non-blur rom will cause bootloops due to inconsistencies in the framework. if you're just updating or wiping your phone because you want to clean your /system you'll be ok. Might want to change OP - this is how I've edited my post:

EDIT: coming from ANY non-blur based ROM and doing Maderstcok is guaranteed to bootloop due to mismatch in framework without a data/cache wipe

First post edited, thanks for the update.

Reactions: ericsch333
Upvote 0
I'm in a boot loop! I tried what Steven said but when I hold the power button and home button at startup I get a screen with an exclamation point in a triangle and a green droid. If I dont do this, I am stuck in a boot loop that goes through my liberty boot screen.

Please need some help :thinking:

When you are at that screen with droid and triangle with exclamation mark, push the search button (button with the magnifying glass), then do wipe data/factory resest and wipe cache partition and then reboot.

Reactions: TheKirch
Upvote 0
So, to confirm:

I'm running on Liberty. If I flash this, I will go into a bootloop; in that situation, I should get into clockwork recovery and do a data/factory reset...and it should solve my problem...that would be the ideal thing to do, right?

You should do a data/cache wipe before applying Maderstcok. If by chance you still bootloop, then you will have to do what Steven58 suggested in post #16

Upvote 0
Will this work for a phone that is on version 2.3.9? I haven't had a phone update since early september and I'd like to get back on an OTA schedule or at least up to date with the basebands and such. If it won't, what steps do i need to take to make it work? I'm running the original Moto Froyo leak that came out back then.

Also, what is the best way to back up all of my contacts and information since it sounds like i'll be doing a factory reset? Will the info all just come back? I'm not so worried about my apps and such, just all of my contact info. Thanks.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Will this work for a phone that is on version 2.3.9? I haven't had a phone update since early september and I'd like to get back on an OTA schedule or at least up to date with the basebands and such. If it won't, what steps do i need to take to make it work? I'm running the original Moto Froyo leak that came out back then.

Also, what is the best way to back up all of my contacts and information since it sounds like i'll be doing a factory reset? Will the info all just come back? I'm not so worried about my apps and such, just all of my contact info. Thanks.

Thanks.

You can backup your contacts to your SD card by going to:

Contacts > Settings > Import/Export > Export to SD card

To restore your contacts follow the same path but import instead

Upvote 0
so as long as you re-root and reinstall bootstrap you can overclock and custom rom?

im kind confused by this

"If you attempt to create a backup or flash a rom post maderstcok installation you're going to have a paperweight."

It means don't use the remnants of bootstrap/clockwork mod after doing maderstcok. Root your phone again and install bootstrap again before you try to make or restore backups.

Upvote 0
I am running Apex 1.4.1 and i want to start fresh and get alot of junk off my phone from me not really knowing what the hell i was doing. i want to run Maderstock to get totally fresh clean stock phone. i want all the crap off of my SD card as well. (all except my photos,videos,music).

everyone states to download maderstock.zip to the root of your sd card. is that different than just saving it to the sd card?if so, how?

first i would run maderstock.zip from bootloader, when done should i wipe phone factory reset/ and wipe partition directly after that using bootloader ,? or do i reboot phone and do a stock factory reset from the stock phone settings?:thinking:

Upvote 0
I am running Apex 1.4.1 and i want to start fresh and get alot of junk off my phone from me not really knowing what the hell i was doing. i want to run Maderstock to get totally fresh clean stock phone. i want all the crap off of my SD card as well. (all except my photos,videos,music).

everyone states to download maderstock.zip to the root of your sd card. is that different than just saving it to the sd card?if so, how?

first i would run maderstock.zip from bootloader, when done should i wipe phone factory reset/ and wipe partition directly after that using bootloader ,? or do i reboot phone and do a stock factory reset from the stock phone settings?:thinking:
I did this last night.

No it's not different, that's the same thing as saving it to your sd card. Check this first post out (hope it's OK to link to another site).

maderstcok - OTA 2.3.340 update.zip.

I ran maderstcok first, my phone bootlooped though. I'd suggest wiping data and partition in bootloader first, then running maderstcok. I think that will keep you from having to worry about bootlooping.

Hope everything goes well man, it was my first time doing it and I think withing 2 1/2 hours I'd maderstcoked, rerooted, ROMed, downloaded my theme and had about half of my apps back.

Still few things I want to get rid off of my sd card as well and the bloatware still left behind.

Upvote 0
I am very new to all of this, please forgive me if my questions are tedious :)

I put the leaked 2.3.3 Gingerbread on my DX late last night before I realized that I would lose root in doing so. Can I use this to go from the leaked 2.3.3 to 2.3.340? Would that allow me to run Z4root and then download the pre-rooted 2.3.3 Gingerbread? I'm on a Mac and don't completely understand how to SBF.

Thank you kindly in advance -

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones