• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Update to FroYo in USA

diegox

Jul 19, 2010
Hey guys need some help here: I just bought an unlocked european HTC desire online and im using on tmobile in the us. it seems to be debranded as there is no flash screen upon boot and no bloatware whatsoever (the box was unopened but it did have a sticker about german o2 internet service). I want to update to froyo but when i check for updates, it tells me that there is no available update. some of the explanations i have come up with are: can't be done in the us, or can't be done over wi-fi (i still haven't gotten the wireless internet service, so im stuck with wifi for a couple days). what do you guys think is the problem, and what could i do to fix it? thanks so much in advance

PS: the phone was bought from a hong kong-based seller but the phone's box has the highlights section in german and the quick startup guides are in italian, german and french

hi,

i had a similar experience with my htc desire bought from singapore and being used in India.

i just got a notification yesterday for Update 2.2 and it went thru without any problem.

best way to confirm whether the country specific (your phone's country of origin) update for the handset is available or not is to visit the support page of the HTC website of that country. On selecting the phone model you will get to know whether the 2.2 release is available.

secondly, it is not necessary to have a mobile internet connection for the update, wifi works fine .

you can also download the user manuals from the htc website

Upvote 0
i am sure that if your phone origin country website says that the update is available, you will get it where ever you may be as these updates are (that is my understanding) downloaded from the web servers and not the servers of telecom companies. also these updates are rolled out in a staggered manner (may be to avoid overload).

i was also tempted to root / debrand etc my desire for update 2.2; but didn't want the hassels.

patience has had off ; albeit a little late

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones